Car Shaking

Moses

Hi, I've had my LS400 (91) for about 4 years now, and it always had a slight problem of shaking, but just recently the problem has become much more bothersome.

When I give the car gas, it feels fine. However, when you try to level off the speed, and remain at a constant speed, the car will shake forward to backward motion very hard.

My guess is that it's not receiving enough gas? Perhaps there is something blocking the gas line?

I do also notice (for the first time) a rattling sound when stopped. (Can't hear when driving).

I just replaced a bearing on the engine fan that had gone bad, other then that no work has been done on this car. It does have a bad idle control too though, but I don't know how that could affect the shaking at level speeds.

do you feel the shaking is coming from your seat, the frame, or the steering wheel? When you mention "shaking forward to backward motion" do you mean the car first shakes at the front, then gradually moves toward the back?

What is the condition of your engine and tranny mounts?

Does your engine work fine if you give it gas and hold steady in park?

If there is no problem there, my guess would be that it is the transmission hunting for the right gear. This could easily cause the violent front-back shaking that you described.

Have your transmission tested at a qualified shop.

Does your engine work fine if you give it gas and hold steady in park?

If there is no problem there, my guess would be that it is the transmission hunting for the right gear. This could easily cause the violent front-back shaking that you described.

Have your transmission tested at a qualified shop.

Crap, I have the same problem with my 91 LS400. Maybe a change of the murky tranny fluid is in order....