Hard Water?

Does anyone think or know if it could have a damaging effect on the car's paint?

Just wondering. In some areas of L.A. we even have "re-claimed" hard water.

As anal as I am about my car, I don't think I'll be out there anytime soon with my bucket and *bottled* water ;)

Unless of course, it gives an unbeatable shine! :lol:

Just make sure that the water can't dry on the car (rewet all panels often so they remain wet before you dry) and it wont make a difference.

And distilled water is only like $1 a gallon ;)

No LOL. There are people who do that, but I think its a little extreme.

What I do however is get one of those great big like 3 gallon things of water (or a 3 or 5 gallon gas can) and fill it with water from home and put it in the trunk if you're going to wash the car at one of those spray bays. For a couple reasons:

1: Its a PITA to fill up the buckets with the pressure wand because they dont actually put out a lot of water.

2: The water from those things is usually hot, and it burns my hands!

3: Its cheaper then wasting quarters to fill the buckets

4: The water in those wands is reclaimed so its not the cleanest.

So what I do is use the gas can or water jug to fill the buckets, use the wand to spray down the car, soap up, and spray off. Usually I only have to put quarters in twice, giving me about 8 minutes of spray for $5 (not cheap here) then another $1 for the vacuum, so I'm out for six bucks. They charge $18 here for a super wash through a tunnel, and $25 to hand wash so its a good savings. Plus I wash the car once or twice a week, so my year end savings are great, even better if I wash at home...

Hm.

It's pretty convenient for me to wash my car at home. I "could" fill up one of my buckets with better water and use that...but then I would fall into the Extreme Category ;)

I'm surprised that there are people who actually do this. Then again, I believe it. So do you think they used Purified water or Distilled water or Spring water?

Just asking of course. I'm really not going to do this ;)

I've already noticed a big savings too, from washing the car myself.

I only need to go to the bay to use the vacuum hose. 50 cents :)

Yeah if it doesnt bother you to wash it at home, then no biggie. When I wash at home I just use the attatchments on my home vacuum cleaner.

As for the water, I know people who use distilled to wash and to rinse. The good thing about it is distilled water can not spot because there's nothing in it to be left behind when the water dries.

I however just dry it well LOL

As for the water, I know people who use distilled to wash and to rinse. The good thing about it is distilled water can not spot because there's nothing in it to be left behind when the water dries.

:lol: And *bam* - there goes my reason for having to try it - those darn water spots LOL!!