Engine Start Up

Dj Matt

When i start my 96 LS 400 (128,000 miles) ive noticed a winding churping sound that is very loud and very embarassing almost the sound a dog makes when he yelps ,the sound eventuallly goes away after the car has reached normal temperature but now i hear a slight winding as i drive.I need help ASAP . Its sounds more like a high pitch scream and when put in reverse it seems to go from high piercing sream into a whistle but i noticed when i turn on th AC the sound suddenly is alot less noticable.. Thanks to all you wonderfull people at Lexus Qwners Club i have a place to turn to. By the way i brag about this website to everybody when we talk about cars and how amazing it is when so many come together to help one another this is trully an honor to be a member of this club THANK YOU!!! Guys came to find out my transmission gave out today and its being towed to Lexus!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Need to try to isolate sound. Could be the belt tensioner or a pulley or possibly the AC clutch or any number of other things. If you have a stethoscope this will help to pinpoint the source of the screaming. Let us know.

I would begin by changing the serpantine belt. I found that the noise is caused by it more often than not.

Do not try to spray any lubricant or stop squick on it because it doesn't work.

Sounds to be a bad bearing on the serpentine belt route. Could be the ac compressor or the water pump. I would get to a shop asap before more damage is done.

I agree... Although does the sound change with the air conditioner on / off? My AC whines like a jet engine, always has since the day i got it, but still ice feakin' cold. So just becuase it makes noise, doesn't necessarily mean it's bad. Got about 50k miles on mine, with 131k total mileage to date.

Have you tried a little wd40 on the belt to see if that does anything? I've had to do that to mine every once in a while.

I agree with RF though, you probably want a mechanic to stick his head in there for a quick listen. My suggestions are easy ones, but if it is your water pump, then you'd best have that replaced. That's one component that takes no mercy when it dies.