!990 Lexus Ls 400 Won't Start

Mike Hoop

I recently replaced the starter in my 1990 lexus ls 400. Wow what a job, I'm glad I won't have to do that for a while. Anyway, I put the engine back together fairly easily, and after putting the fuel rails and injectors back I noticed one plug in the middle of the fuel injector wiring harness that was not connected. I thought maybe as I put the rest of the components in it would eventialy become clear where its home was. However I never found its home and of coarse the car turns over but doesn't start... Its not the same plug as the injectors have, but it runs right along with those plugs. Maybe if I had a picture of a properly installed fuel rail and injector wiring harness I could figure it out. But for the meantime like I said its attached to the fuel injector wiring harness, and its a very short wire, so I don't think it can go to far, something must plug into it from above the wiring harness... Please help me with the pics and if anybody else has done this job before can you share some of the mistakes you made or tell me why there are 5 plugs on one side of the fuel injector wiring harness and only four on the other...

I recently replaced the starter in my 1990 lexus ls 400. Wow what a job, I'm glad I won't have to do that for a while. Anyway, I put the engine back together fairly easily, and after putting the fuel rails and injectors back I noticed one plug in the middle of the fuel injector wiring harness that was not connected. I thought maybe as I put the rest of the components in it would eventialy become clear where its home was. However I never found its home and of coarse the car turns over but doesn't start... Its not the same plug as the injectors have, but it runs right along with those plugs. Maybe if I had a picture of a properly installed fuel rail and injector wiring harness I could figure it out. But for the meantime like I said its attached to the fuel injector wiring harness, and its a very short wire, so I don't think it can go to far, something must plug into it from above the wiring harness... Please help me with the pics and if anybody else has done this job before can you share some of the mistakes you made or tell me why there are 5 plugs on one side of the fuel injector wiring harness and only four on the other...

I'm replying to myself to seperate my two threads one of them is old and sounds almost the same as this one sorry.

I haven't done a starter so i can't give you 1st hand advice. I did find these instructions for removing the injectors that describe which connectors to disconnect. Maybe process of elimination will help you find it.

Right hand

(B) Disconnect the following connectors:

• Water temp. sender gauge connector

• Water temp. sensor connector

• Start injector time switch connector

• Four injector connectors

Left hand

• Distributor connector

• Engine speed sensor connector

• EGR gas temp. sensor connector

I haven't done a starter so i can't give you 1st hand advice. I did find these instructions for removing the injectors that describe which connectors to disconnect. Maybe process of elimination will help you find it.

Right hand

Left hand

• Distributor connector

thank you, this does help me, but is there any one else that could add some pics, I am no mechanic but I can turn a wrench if you know what I mean... I don't know the names of all the sesors therefore it would be difficult for me to use these instructions without pics...

Right hand

Left hand

• Distributor connector

thank you, this does help me, but is there any one else that could add some pics, I am no mechanic but I can turn a wrench if you know what I mean... I don't know the names of all the sesors therefore it would be difficult for me to use these instructions without pics...

This should help:

You owe me a beer :cheers:

400_starter_replacement.pdf