Replacing Transmission On A 97 Ls

Rice

Hi all,

I am thinking of replasing my tranny on a 97 LS with 180K miles.

The issue is the initial tranny engagement. When I put the car in Drive in the morning, it takes a couple of seconds and then I get a major kick when it finally engages.

It might be a problem with the pump or someting else inside the tranny - No one knows.

My mechanic said not to even try rebuilding it because transmission shops have no experience with LS trannys because they just don't break that often. Even if they do rebuid it, the tranny will never be as smooth again and will frustrate the heck out of me. I tend to agree with that.

Now, I've done some research and came across a company that imports JDM parts, including transmissions, into the US. They claim low milage and high quality of their products...

My question to all is: Does anyone have experiance with used JDM transmissions?

Here is a link to the company that I'm talking about: www.foreignenginesinc.com

They quoted me a tranny for a 97 LS400 with 35K miles for about $800 delivered to the shop with 1 year money-back guarantee.

Insidently, my co-worker is Japanese and I asked her if it is true that Japanese used parts are as good as they claim. She said that they don't drive much there because the country is too small and the car ownership is so expensive that if anyone does own a car, especially LS400, they take the most meticulous care of it. It is a matter of pride for them.

Hi all,

I am thinking of replasing my tranny on a 97 LS with 180K miles.

The issue is the initial tranny engagement. When I put the car in Drive in the morning, it takes a couple of seconds and then I get a major kick when it finally engages.

It might be a problem with the pump or someting else inside the tranny - No one knows.

My mechanic said not to even try rebuilding it because transmission shops have no experience with LS trannys because they just don't break that often. Even if they do rebuid it, the tranny will never be as smooth again and will frustrate the heck out of me. I tend to agree with that.

Now, I've done some research and came across a company that imports JDM parts, including transmissions, into the US. They claim low milage and high quality of their products...

My question to all is: Does anyone have experiance with used JDM transmissions?

Here is a link to the company that I'm talking about: www.foreignenginesinc.com

They quoted me a tranny for a 97 LS400 with 35K miles for about $800 delivered to the shop with 1 year money-back guarantee.

Insidently, my co-worker is Japanese and I asked her if it is true that Japanese used parts are as good as they claim. She said that they don't drive much there because the country is too small and the car ownership is so expensive that if anyone does own a car, especially LS400, they take the most meticulous care of it. It is a matter of pride for them.

It sounds like a shift selinoid is sticking, Has the tranny fluid ever been changed ? How often ? Bring it to a toyota dealer and have them look at it. 99% sure you do not have to replace the tranny.

It sounds like a shift selinoid is sticking, Has the tranny fluid ever been changed ? How often ? Bring it to a toyota dealer and have them look at it. 99% sure you do not have to replace the tranny.

Thanks for the reply.

I replace the fluid every year for the past 4 years of ownership.

It is quite burnt very time. I know that LS trannys normally burn fluid a little, but mine is beyound normal.

In general, I am afraid of going to the dealer. I don't know how dealers are in your neck of the woods, but the ones in NYC are crooks. I wouldn't trust them as far as I can throw them. I may end up in a situation where they will charge me $3-400 just to diagnose the problem and then say that I need my tranny rebuilt - another $2-3K. It does have 180K miles on it after all and it needs some TLC.

Thanks for the reply.

I replace the fluid every year for the past 4 years of ownership.

It is quite burnt very time. I know that LS trannys normally burn fluid a little, but mine is beyound normal.

In general, I am afraid of going to the dealer. I don't know how dealers are in your neck of the woods, but the ones in NYC are crooks. I wouldn't trust them as far as I can throw them. I may end up in a situation where they will charge me $3-400 just to diagnose the problem and then say that I need my tranny rebuilt - another $2-3K. It does have 180K miles on it after all and it needs some TLC.

Drain and fill the tranny every 100 miles until it runs red. Have your mechanic drop the pan and replace the first-second selinoid.

You owe me a beer :cheers:

ls400_tranny.pdf

tranny_valve_cleaning.pdf

Drain and fill the tranny every 100 miles until it runs red. Have your mechanic drop the pan and replace the first-second selinoid.

Wow,

It's getting interesting. I am beginning to nurture a hope that I will get of cheap this time.

I have a question.

1 - Does first-second solenoid control drive engagement? My tranny shifts just fine from 1st to 2nd or any other gear for that matter.

2 - This condition only occurs after the car has not been used for a couple of days. After the first time I put it in drive and it does what I've described, it acts normal the rest of the day and nobody can tell that something is wrong.

Again, thanks for your help!

Wow,

It's getting interesting. I am beginning to nurture a hope that I will get of cheap this time.

I have a question.

1 - Does first-second solenoid control drive engagement? My tranny shifts just fine from 1st to 2nd or any other gear for that matter.

2 - This condition only occurs after the car has not been used for a couple of days. After the first time I put it in drive and it does what I've described, it acts normal the rest of the day and nobody can tell that something is wrong.

The selinoid is sticking when it is cold. Clean and or replace them.

Wow,

I have a question.

It looks like a very easy job that I can do myself.

What's the good place to get the shift solenoids?

dcfish, if this works, I will as you for your address so I can ship a case of beer of your choosing to ya :cheers:

Wow,

I have a question.

dcfish, if this works, I will as you for your address so I can ship a case of beer of your choosing to ya :cheers:

Well, What is the update ?

Wow,

I have a question.

Well, What is the update ?

I haven't done it yet.

I am waiting until I get back from vacation.

Will report back in mid-july.

In the meantime, where can I get the solenoid from?