Strange Symtons

My 97 GS300 has developed a strange, but none the less an irratating problem.

At Idle, or crawling speed, the power steering doesn't work, also the A/C light flashes.

Normal driving every thing works fine.

Is this a fan belt issue, ( have ordered a new one ) or something more sinister, and is going to cost me an arm and leg.

TIA

The flashing A/C light most likely indicates a problem with your A/C compressor and/or A/C system. It is possible that a problem with the compressor can cause a problem with the power steering, particularly if the compressor is causing the belt to drag. The reverse is also possible. The power steering pump can cause the problem with the compressor.

there's a RPM sensor on the compressor that might be going bad. first i would check to make sure the connection is good and there are no problems with the wiring. next make sure the belt tensioner is working properly, these have been know to fail. if all is well then pop a new belt on it and cross your fingers, because it could still be something else. also if you're bringing it to lexus or a repair facility with the proper diagnostic equipment, i'm sure the problem can be quickily found using the mastertech.

Thanks for the replies.

Update. The car went into the garage, new belt fitted, battery checked, OK charging @ 14+ volts, switched A/C on and charge dropped to 12.1 and power steering failed. Switched A/C off and power steering returns.

Put new alternator on, and no difference the fault is still there, so something is putting an excessive load on the alternator somewhere.

Any more Ideas.

I'll mention the RPM sensor when I get back to the garage tomorrow, the tensioner was all OK

there could be a problem with your a/c compressor. if it is bad then it could be drawing to much current when you turn it on. also the clutch on the compressor could be bad. if that is makeing the belt drag then it is not spinning the alternator pulley as fast as it should and therefore the alternator is not putting out as much current as is should.

• 1 month later...
Thanks for the replies.

Update. The car went into the garage, new belt fitted, battery checked, OK charging @ 14+ volts, switched A/C on and charge dropped to 12.1 and power steering failed. Switched A/C off and power steering returns.

Put new alternator on, and no difference the fault is still there, so something is putting an excessive load on the alternator somewhere.

Any more Ideas.

I'll mention the RPM sensor when I get back to the garage tomorrow, the tensioner was all OK

you need a new crank shaft pully the rubber deteriorates between the pully and balancer causing slippage and the accsessories to slow down

• 3 months later...
Thanks for the replies.

Any more Ideas.

you need a new crank shaft pully the rubber deteriorates between the pully and balancer causing slippage and the accsessories to slow down