Navigation Question

breadboy

Kind of a dumb question, but this has been annoying me like crazy. Sometimes while using the nav system while driving I accidentally touch the map at a random spot and it marks that spot with a round icon. The map stops moving and focuses on that point. I have the option of then clicking on the mark button and either putting the point into memory or choosing it as my new destination. Does anyone know how I can cancel that and go back to "normal" view? The only way I've found of canceling it is to actually choose that as my destination and then deleting the destination but that's super annoying! Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Just push the Map/Voice button which is the top button on the right side of the NAV unit. The map will jump back to the normal position. :)

Just push the Map/Voice button which is the top button on the right side of the NAV unit. The map will jump back to the normal position. :)

Does anyone know what base map the navigation system in the ES350 is using? NAVTEQ or TeleAtlas? How extensive is the POI database? There is significant differences between these base maps.

Thanks,

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
I believe it is Navteq. It's a single DVD, so not as many POIs as a multi-DVD system. From my experience, it looks like the POI and maps are circa 2004

Does Lexus provide updates (free or small fee) for the navigation system? I'd hate to have a car that is outputting outdated info even from the getgo...

Does Lexus provide updates (free or small fee) for the navigation system? I'd hate to have a car that is outputting outdated info even from the getgo...

Years ago when Lexus started installing NAV systems in their cars the first upgrade was free. Now if you want the newest DVD disc you have to purchase it for about $300. :whistles:

The newest upgrades are released around every October.

Years ago when Lexus started installing NAV systems in their cars the first upgrade was free. Now if you want the newest DVD disc you have to purchase it for about $300. :whistles:

The newest upgrades are released around every October.

So does that mean that if I pick up the '07 today, it'll have the latest road/POI/etc. information?

Or is it that the latest update still has outdated info that some are complaining about?

Thanks~

You'll have the latest disc that Lexus installed, which was probably released October 2006. They won't have the new DVD version until October 2007.

• 6 months later...

How can I turn on the GPS receiver for the navigation system, or is this just something that has to be done by the dealership? I believe that it is turned off as I cannot see the GPS symbol on the screen and my position on the map is completely wrong.

How can I turn on the GPS receiver for the navigation system, or is this just something that has to be done by the dealership? I believe that it is turned off as I cannot see the GPS symbol on the screen and my position on the map is completely wrong.

The GPS receiver should turn on automatically after you press the "I Agree" button. I would take the car to your Lexus dealer to have this problem checked out.

Thats a defect in the 2007 ES350 Navigation system. Your dealer will have to order a special navigation DVD for you. Its just a firmware update that will fix the problem.

Thats a defect in the 2007 ES350 Navigation system. Your dealer will have to order a special navigation DVD for you. Its just a firmware update that will fix the problem.

Sorry, forgot to mention, I have a 2008 ES350 so I believe that there may not be a firmware update. A earlier post (today) recommended that I take it back to the dealer and have them fix this as the GPS should start automatically. Am I correct to state that a 'GPS' symbol should be displayed on the screen if it is working?