99 Ls400 Satellite Radio (sirius) Installation Question

Has anyone tried installing satellite radio on a 1998 - 2000 LS400 with the factory Navigation system?

If so, are there any dealer/aftermarket tuner kits other than plug and play that will work with my radio?

I did a search but only saw topics on 03-04 LS 430s.

• 1 year later...

I installed an aftermarket Sirius radio on my 99 just this weekend. I mounted the antenna on the back window shelf (inside the glass) by the third brake light. It is an ultra low profile antenna.

The radio is mounted with a vehicle-specific mount by Pro.Fit. I used a hard-wire kit so I don't have the power plugged into my cigarette lighter. I also used the Sirius FM Direct Adapter/Modulator that plugs in to the antenna connection on the Nakamichi head unit. It is a much better way to listen to satellite radio as it cancels any kind of interference.

Sirius FM Direct Adapter/Modulator

Pro.Fit Vehicle Specific Mount

Sirius Direct Connect Hard Wire Kit

Crutchfield also carries the Professional Install Kit:

Sirius Professional Installation Kit

Excellent information, WillieWildcat!

Sounds like you went above and beyond what most people do when installing a sat radio.

I use the same Pro.Fit Legend bracket for my GPS -- the best bracket I've found. The built-in swivel on the bracket makes it easy to position the device perfectly.

The Pro.Fit Legend VSM is indeed the best mount for GPS, satellite radio, mobile phone, etc.

I read earlier on the LOC forums that the center dash air vents above the climate control like to fall apart when removed and that is truly the case. I spent a little time putting mine back together, but it ended well.

It took a total of around 1 hour to install everything.

Has anyone tried installing satellite radio on a 1998 - 2000 LS400 with the factory Navigation system?

If so, are there any dealer/aftermarket tuner kits other than plug and play that will work with my radio?

I did a search but only saw topics on 03-04 LS 430s.

My factory radio died a few years ago. I installed an Eclipse Unit with GPS and the Sirius modual. I have since gone back and taken out the CD changer above the glove box and added a DVD player with Headrest monitors for the back seats. this gives my kids the ability to watch a movie, while I have navigation and satellite radio. The headrest monitors have wireless headsets. Works really well, the dealer is a friend of mine and did a great job fitting it all in.