Delayed Shift When Cold

landar

My 98 LS400, which I have only had for 2 weeks, normally shifts to second gear @10 mph, 3rd @ 20mph, 4th @ 35, 5th@40-45. This is just my normal acceleration and I dont have a lead foot. However, when the car is cold(ambient temp = 60 to 80 f), I notice that it doesnt shift to second until about 20-25mph. After it shifts the first time, then later shift sequences are normal.

Has anyone else noticed this behaviour or is this a potential problem? The car has 63k miles and has been serviced religiously by Lexus including all transmission fluid changes. I also notice the throttle "tip" (which feels like I cant smoothly step on the thotttle but have given it a sudden sharp jab). Tranny seems to shift smoothly, although it quickly goes thru the gears except that first time when cold.

My 98 LS400, which I have only had for 2 weeks, normally shifts to second gear @10 mph, 3rd @ 20mph, 4th @ 35, 5th@40-45. This is just my normal acceleration and I dont have a lead foot. However, when the car is cold(ambient temp = 60 to 80 f), I notice that it doesnt shift to second until about 20-25mph. After it shifts the first time, then later shift sequences are normal.

Has anyone else noticed this behaviour or is this a potential problem? The car has 63k miles and has been serviced religiously by Lexus including all transmission fluid changes. I also notice the throttle "tip" (which feels like I cant smoothly step on the thotttle but have given it a sudden sharp jab). Tranny seems to shift smoothly, although it quickly goes thru the gears except that first time when cold.

The tranny fluid has to warm up to 153 degrees to run normal. So yes, It is normal to shift late.

The tranny fluid has to warm up to 153 degrees to run normal. So yes, It is normal to shift late when cold.

The tranny fluid has to warm up to 153 degrees to run normal. So yes, It is normal to shift late when cold.

Yes, I have a 2000 Ls400, same thing, talked with lexus dealership, transmission has to warm up, then it runs smoothly. :chairshot:

The story I heard is that the catalytic converters can't function properly until they're warmed up. So the shift is delayed so that the engine and cats warm up faster, reducing pollution. I heard something like a cold engine produces more pollution in one mile that it produces in <several...I forget how many> miles.