Odd Downshift Sound- Like Air Leaking

DanW

Here's an interesting one.... This morning I was driving with the radio off, and when the car downshifts, there is an air leaking sound (like spraying spray paint) that seems to come from the REAR of the car.

Lets see...it happened in when downshifting from 4th to 3rd, and from 3rd to 2nd. Didn't seem to happen from 2nd to 1st. Happens in Power or Normal mode. Also, it DOESNT happen when you turn off overdrive and the thing downshifts, only when you give it enough gas to downshift.

Not sure it matters what rpm the engine is running at, doesn't seem like it does.

I checked and there's nothing in the backseat or trunk that would produce a "spraying" sound. Other than that it shifts fine and sounds fine....

Really seems to be coming from the BACK of the car. Any ideas? I can't even think of anything back there that could produce a noise like that!

Here's an interesting one.... This morning I was driving with the radio off, and when the car downshifts, there is an air leaking sound (like spraying spray paint) that seems to come from the REAR of the car.

Lets see...it happened in when downshifting from 4th to 3rd, and from 3rd to 2nd. Didn't seem to happen from 2nd to 1st. Happens in Power or Normal mode. Also, it DOESNT happen when you turn off overdrive and the thing downshifts, only when you give it enough gas to downshift.

Not sure it matters what rpm the engine is running at, doesn't seem like it does.

I checked and there's nothing in the backseat or trunk that would produce a "spraying" sound. Other than that it shifts fine and sounds fine....

Really seems to be coming from the BACK of the car. Any ideas? I can't even think of anything back there that could produce a noise like that!

Change the differential gear oil (simple job) Just make sure you loosen the fill plug first. Set your emergency brake and release a few times ( this will adjust the indide drum pads if they are dragging. When was the last time you changed your rear brake pads ? Have you done a drain and fill on your tranny lately ? Just some quick thoughts..............

Change the differential gear oil (simple job) Just make sure you loosen the fill plug first. Set your emergency brake and release a few times ( this will adjust the indide drum pads if they are dragging. When was the last time you changed your rear brake pads ? Have you done a drain and fill on your tranny lately ? Just some quick thoughts..............

Fiddling with the E-brake seemed to do the trick. Strange...it didn't sounds like rubbing, it was almost like air whistling. I suppose I could have bumped the e-brake getting in...I bump the keyless entry on/off switch sometimes...although I'm not actually sure how!

Fiddling with the E-brake seemed to do the trick. Strange...it didn't sounds like rubbing, it was almost like air whistling. I suppose I could have bumped the e-brake getting in...I bump the keyless entry on/off switch sometimes...although I'm not actually sure how!

The e-brake should be used once a week or so, When it is used it automatically adjusts itself so when you really need it it WILL work. Happy to help you out. :cheers: