Ls460 Winter Driving

My wife has an RX330 right now, and it's been a pleasure. We had a '98 RX300 before, so we're relatively loyal.

I've gone back and forth, so many times, because she claims to not want to get another Lexus. It's not for any real reason- she just thinks they're too popular :huh:

Frustratingly, Lexus is the only brand that fits her needs perfectly- comfort, style, reliability, and the gimmicky features that she "needs" (like the backup camera).

We've considered a Range Rover Sport, an E350 4Matic, XJ8, A8, S550 4Matic, E550 4Matic and even the LS600hL- but I feel that the LS hybrid is too big to easily fit in our garage, and the only reason I'd look at it is for the AWD.

So, now, I want her to look at the LS460 SWB.

I've gotten advice from those on other forums, saying that the new LS, which is very impressive, can go through bad winter weather because of its various stability control systems. Does anybody here own an LS460 or LS460L in a cold climate that can confirm that? Because I just don't know if I can trust her with a RWD car in the winter, even if it has snows. I thought I couldn't even trust myself- that's one reason why I've gotten three Audi models.

Thoughts?

i dont own the car, but im sure it behaves like every other RWD car out there.

all she needs is a good set of winter tires, or at the least, good all seasons like you probably have on your RX.

now, the LS does have VDIM which proves to be the best stability control device out there. im adding this video so you have see firsthand how it beats its other rivals on a wet metal grilled floor. If its light snow, then no problem. If you thinking about cross country snow roads, then i think a 4wd car would be better.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=7jDL-Vj3Dgk

its in japanese but you will get the point. the lexus comes in first place, and if you turn up the sound a little, you will constantly hear beeps of the car trying to fix it. notice how it beats the AWD Audi!!

this is another good one to watch

http://www.nihoncar.com/en/review-330-Toyo...te%2C+HDTV.html

they show you a car with and without VDIM so that you can compare the safety

Using my experience with the LS400 and LS430 as a judge (no reason not to), then the LS460 is probably no worse than any other heavy, powerful, RWD car in the snow. Which is not good, but okay with snow tires.

*I* would not let my wife drive an LS in the snow, absolutely not without snowtires, and probably not with snow tires.