Gen 1 Gs Electrical Issues

I don't post here much, due to time constraints, but I occasionally lurk. Has anyone had issues with the alternator on a GS having decreased output due to oil leaking from above? It seems possible due to reduced cooling capacity, grime around the brushes, etc..My o-ring from my distributor is leaking, causing nasty buildup on my alternator. At night, i have to turn off my stereo because my lights dim, and i can't run my AC fan to maximum due to current draw. Has anyone had luck cleaning off an alternator, or will this need replaced?

I have a pretty hefty sound system but the mono amplifier is currently disconnected. If i'm replacing the alternator, i'm going to go with the 145A instead of the 80A.

Stereo is ~1500W...peak or RMS i'm unsure of.

80A*14.5V = 1160W

145A * 14.5V = 2102W

I don't post here much, due to time constraints, but I occasionally lurk. Has anyone had issues with the alternator on a GS having decreased output due to oil leaking from above? It seems possible due to reduced cooling capacity, grime around the brushes, etc..My o-ring from my distributor is leaking, causing nasty buildup on my alternator. At night, i have to turn off my stereo because my lights dim, and i can't run my AC fan to maximum due to current draw. Has anyone had luck cleaning off an alternator, or will this need replaced?

I have a pretty hefty sound system but the mono amplifier is currently disconnected. If i'm replacing the alternator, i'm going to go with the 145A instead of the 80A.

Stereo is ~1500W...peak or RMS i'm unsure of.

80A*14.5V = 1160W

145A * 14.5V = 2102W

Replace the o-ring (fix the oil leak), clean the entire area, And have the alt rebuilt.

• 3 weeks later...

<<<Has anyone had issues with the alternator on a GS having decreased output due to oil leaking from above? It seems possible due to reduced cooling capacity, grime around the brushes, etc..My o-ring from my distributor is leaking, causing nasty buildup on my alternator. >>>

I think my O-ring is leaking too. I smelled oil burn smell the other day (it's been getting worse) and when I looked under the hood there was black wetness near the distributor base. Haven't noticed an electrical or alternator issue yet though now I will be very watchful for this.

I can't beleive what I am reading on this post. You have an oil leak and instead of repairing the leak you are going to wait until failure occurs :chairshot: :censored:

I can't beleive what I am reading on this post. You have an oil leak and instead of repairing the leak you are going to wait until failure occurs :chairshot: :censored:

I didn't wait until failure. I didn't notice the problem until the alternator was already losing output.