99 Es300 No Fourth Gear

lapperlou

99es 300 no fourth gear. had trans flush with profesional machine at toyota. i do hear a buzzing noise in trans when the key is on. not sure that normal or a solenoid shift vlave sticking. then after 3 miles like that the check engine light comes on. knock sensor codes p0325 and p0330. is that all related??? thanks for any advise

• 2 weeks later...

99es 300 no fourth gear. had trans flush with profesional machine at toyota. i do hear a buzzing noise in trans when the key is on. not sure that normal or a solenoid shift vlave sticking. then after 3 miles like that the check engine light comes on. knock sensor codes p0325 and p0330. is that all related??? thanks for any advise
When the CEL's come on, the car goes into 'limp mode', this is why it will not shift into 4th. It is in the Factory Service Manuals (FSM). We are having a similar issue with our 00' model. We have the P0330 code and our car doesn't shift past 4th. Thankfully, everything is around town and the car is still usable. We used the FSM and figured out our A/F sensors are fine, the wires also seem fine, and really, so does the brain, so we are kind of of stuck unless we take it into the dealership. Interesting that yours started with the transmission flush, because ours coincided with an engine flush. I posted about a possible correlation, but didn't get any responses here. Post if you get a resolve, it would help. :)

• 3 weeks later...

The owner with both sensor codes, this is most likely the knock sensor harness but I would strongly recommend replacing both sensors as well as the harness, this repair is pretty involved and you wouldnt want to do it twice. Same to chococat but you might be fine with the one sensor closest to the radiator.

The owner with both sensor codes, this is most likely the knock sensor harness but I would strongly recommend replacing both sensors as well as the harness, this repair is pretty involved and you wouldnt want to do it twice. Same to chococat but you might be fine with the one sensor closest to the radiator.
We replace both sensors since we were at it, we were 100% sure by that time it was just one sensor and not the harness nor the EMC. It was a 3 hour job from start to test drive finish. That included draining the radiator fluid, disassembly and reassembly. In all honesty, I just 'helped' but tearing apart the engine to get to the sensors is pretty straight forward, just a matter of screws and torque. Our CEL never came back on, we fixed it and it was very gratifying. :)