What Is The Major Service Schedule

lunalexus

Hello everyone I am the owner (2nd) of a really beautiful 2002 Lx470. Currently it has 86,000 0n the clock and drives wonderfully. However I was wondering when will the major service be due and what can i expect in time and cost. I bought this vehicle with an extended warranty to 150,000. Any one with information is surely appreciated

Hello everyone I am the owner (2nd) of a really beautiful 2002 Lx470. Currently it has 86,000 0n the clock and drives wonderfully. However I was wondering when will the major service be due and what can i expect in time and cost. I bought this vehicle with an extended warranty to 150,000. Any one with information is surely appreciated

Your next major service is 90K, which means the t-belt. You should also get the water pump done the same time since it's behind the t-belt (they typically last 120K before weeping).

15K mi:

- engine oil/oil filter

- engine air filter

- cabin filters

- front rear diff fluid if using dino (otherwise, 30K for synthetic)

- t-case fluid if using dino (otherwise, 30K for synthetic)

- lube drive shafts

- retorque drive shaft bolts

- rotate tires

- inspect serp belt

30K mi intervals: everything from the 15K mi plus:

- flush brakes

- ATF exchange using the machine (probably type T-IV for the '02?)

- coolant (use Toyota red + distilled water, mixed 50-50)

- front wheel bearing repack (biggie in labor), check brakes while at it

- audible test for valve (make sure there's no strange noises)

- clean flap around throttle body (spray carb cleaner on a rag & use SS brush)

60K mi: everything from the 30K mi plus

- AHC fluid flush--make sure you get the height thing flushed (besides the 4 globes)

- probably want to replace serp belt (in AZ, mine lasted only 48K)

90K mi: everything from the 30K service plus:

- timing belt

- water pump (optional)--good idea to do it now since you'll save $$$$ on labor as opposed to doing it later, as you have to pull all the stuff (radiator, serp belt, etc.) from the front part of the engine to access the t-belt covers.

- radiator hoses (optional)

120K mi: same as 60K mi, plus

- spark plugs (OEM denso iridium)

Generally, I flush my brakes every 1-2 yrs (2 yrs max) and AHC every 2 yrs (due to the heat in AZ), PS fluid was burndt at 49K mi (replaced it w/ Redline ATF w/ dextron II). I would check the PS fluidi periodically to monitor condition. The dealer recommends a ATF drain pan drain every 15K mi, but that's overkill. I just have them put in 12-13 qts of new Toyota type IV (a synthetic) every 30K mi using the machine. Other stuff gets replaced when it needs it. If you DIY, you can buy the parts from the Toyota dealer. I buy them on discount on line....much cheaper.

Besides my LX, I own/maintain a '86 4runner, which has the same service intervals as above (except the plugs and no AHC, and it has a timing chain that lasts 150K+ mi). Some of the maintenance is not written in the manual, but needed if you want to avoid spending $$$ in the future at the dealer. :-) For example, the throttle body gets a sticky buildup of carbon around the flap. If you don't clean it, the motor that opens the TB won't be able to open the flap at some point, throwing a "check engine" code. Dealer will diagnose code as bad TB, replacement is $1500. You could clean it for $3 of carb cleaner, but they won't do that or even tell you that. This happened to the TB on my 4runner at 120K mi (accelerator would stick), but a local ex-toyota mechanic (who had a truck w/ the same engine) said you only have to clean the TB and showed me. The difference is on the old 4Runner engine, you can spray carb cleaner straight into the TB and scrub w/ the brush. On the LX, you can't, as there's a sensor at 12 o'clock. Carb cleaner on the sensor is BAD, so use a rag and brush. You can push the flap on the top or bottom, as long as the key is not in the ignition on "on" (or it might throw a code). This info comes from a lexus mechanic who offroads a LX.

An interview of the chief engineer of the LX470/LC says it's designed for a 30 yr lifespan and 300K mi between overhauls, so if you do the preventative maintenance, you should be fine.

Your next major service is 90K, which means the t-belt. You should also get the water pump done the same time since it's behind the t-belt (they typically last 120K before weeping).

15K mi:

- engine oil/oil filter

- engine air filter

- cabin filters

- front rear diff fluid if using dino (otherwise, 30K for synthetic)

- t-case fluid if using dino (otherwise, 30K for synthetic)

- lube drive shafts

- retorque drive shaft bolts

- rotate tires

- inspect serp belt

30K mi intervals: everything from the 15K mi plus:

- flush brakes

- ATF exchange using the machine (probably type T-IV for the '02?)

- coolant (use Toyota red + distilled water, mixed 50-50)

- front wheel bearing repack (biggie in labor), check brakes while at it

- audible test for valve (make sure there's no strange noises)

- clean flap around throttle body (spray carb cleaner on a rag & use SS brush)

60K mi: everything from the 30K mi plus

- AHC fluid flush--make sure you get the height thing flushed (besides the 4 globes)

- probably want to replace serp belt (in AZ, mine lasted only 48K)

90K mi: everything from the 30K service plus:

- timing belt

- water pump (optional)--good idea to do it now since you'll save $$$$ on labor as opposed to doing it later, as you have to pull all the stuff (radiator, serp belt, etc.) from the front part of the engine to access the t-belt covers.

- radiator hoses (optional)

120K mi: same as 60K mi, plus

- spark plugs (OEM denso iridium)

Generally, I flush my brakes every 1-2 yrs (2 yrs max) and AHC every 2 yrs (due to the heat in AZ), PS fluid was burndt at 49K mi (replaced it w/ Redline ATF w/ dextron II). I would check the PS fluidi periodically to monitor condition. The dealer recommends a ATF drain pan drain every 15K mi, but that's overkill. I just have them put in 12-13 qts of new Toyota type IV (a synthetic) every 30K mi using the machine. Other stuff gets replaced when it needs it. If you DIY, you can buy the parts from the Toyota dealer. I buy them on discount on line....much cheaper.

Besides my LX, I own/maintain a '86 4runner, which has the same service intervals as above (except the plugs and no AHC, and it has a timing chain that lasts 150K+ mi). Some of the maintenance is not written in the manual, but needed if you want to avoid spending $$$ in the future at the dealer. :-) For example, the throttle body gets a sticky buildup of carbon around the flap. If you don't clean it, the motor that opens the TB won't be able to open the flap at some point, throwing a "check engine" code. Dealer will diagnose code as bad TB, replacement is $1500. You could clean it for $3 of carb cleaner, but they won't do that or even tell you that. This happened to the TB on my 4runner at 120K mi (accelerator would stick), but a local ex-toyota mechanic (who had a truck w/ the same engine) said you only have to clean the TB and showed me. The difference is on the old 4Runner engine, you can spray carb cleaner straight into the TB and scrub w/ the brush. On the LX, you can't, as there's a sensor at 12 o'clock. Carb cleaner on the sensor is BAD, so use a rag and brush. You can push the flap on the top or bottom, as long as the key is not in the ignition on "on" (or it might throw a code). This info comes from a lexus mechanic who offroads a LX.

An interview of the chief engineer of the LX470/LC says it's designed for a 30 yr lifespan and 300K mi between overhauls, so if you do the preventative maintenance, you should be fine.

Do you have photos of the throttle body procedure?

Do you have photos of the throttle body procedure?

This is what I went by. Read LexusBen's post. He is/was a lexus mechanic. You need to pull the big hose off the throttle body. First remove the v-bank cover (4 bolts), then remove the hose into the TB (screw). You also need to remove the other side since it's not very flexible (a couple of hex bolts hold down the black plastic box in between the TB and air filter box). Careful not to drop them. The rubber gasket thing w/ ferrule in the center came off when I did it; they slide back in. I used a little carb cleaner, a rag, and stainless toothbrush (hardware store). I sprayed the carb cleaner on the rag and rubbed, but the carbon is stubborn, so I sprayed some on the stainless brush and gently scrubbed while depressing the flap, both on the bottom, then from the top (you can gently push it in; make sure the key is NOT in the ignition!!), then wiped the surface w/ the rag. I would NOT spray carb cleaner into the TB directly due to the sensor. The sensor is at 12 o'clock.

I didn't have quite as much buildup as in the photo shown (maybe half as much) at 57K mi when I did it. The owner/head mechanic at an indep toyota shop that did the t-chain on my 4runner back in '02 (ex-Toyota mechanic) recommended cleaning the TB (on my 4runner, but any car applies) every 30K mi.

http://forum.ih8mud.com/showthread.php?t=9...t=throttle+body

• 3 weeks later...

If you had the CPO or a warranty from Lexus, you could have them do the Tbelt and while they were in there they could check the water pump and replace it. You might check your ext. warranty for coverage. Lexus service tends to recommend the Tbelt replacement at 60K so they can check for other things and replace them under the powertrain warranty (70K) - such as water pump, cam seals, etc.

• 2 weeks later...
If you had the CPO or a warranty from Lexus, you could have them do the Tbelt and while they were in there they could check the water pump and replace it. You might check your ext. warranty for coverage. Lexus service tends to recommend the Tbelt replacement at 60K so they can check for other things and replace them under the powertrain warranty (70K) - such as water pump, cam seals, etc.

If your dealer is recommending a t-belt change at 60K for the 2UZ V8, they're ripping you off. The 90K estimate is very conservative. OTOH, for the V6 engines, you'll have to replace earlier than 90K (engines are harsher on the t-belt, tech tells me). The t-belt and water pump are normal wear items like brakes. I seriously doubt they'd be covered under warranty unless the vehicle were nearly new. Toyota/Honda water pumps typically last ~120K mi, but there's no guarantee. I changed the one on my '86 4runner at 125K mi (17 yrs old at that time) and althought it didn't leak, the bearings were rough compared to a new one. It's about an extra half hour labor to change out the water pump on the LX. I'd highly recommend changing the water pump at the same time as the t-belt, even if it's not weeping ('cause if you change the t-belt at 90K mi and the water pump starts leaking at 120K mi, you'll have to do it all over again and remove the new t-belt you just installed just to access the water pump.