Programming Homelink Buttons

fatmaxxv

a few other threads on it as well as homelinks website

Did I miss something??? was there suppose to be a link on this to link to other thread?

I think he was encouraging you to do a search, yourself.

Erasing the entire HomeLink memory (all three programs) first if your car is not brand new.

Press and hold down the 2 outside buttons for 20 seconds until the indicator light flashes.

then Press and hold down one of the buttons on the HomeLink and the button on the transmitter.

When the indicator light on the HomeLink changes from a slow to a rapid flash after 20 seconds,

you can release both buttons.

I'm having troubles programing mine, too. I followed instructions, cleared the transmitter, but then it says to push the button you wish to operate and hold it till it starts flashing... but it starts flashing from the moment I push it. Don't know what to do with that.

I copy the file from user manual.

If programming a garage door opener, check to see if the garage door opens and closes. If the garage door does not operate, see if your garage transmitter is of the Rolling Code type. Press and hold the programmed HomeLink button. The garage door has the rolling code feature if the indicator light (on the HomeLink) flashes rapidly for 2 seconds and then remains lit. If your transmitter is the Rolling Code type, proceed to the heading “Programming a rolling code system”.

Programming a Rolling Code system (for U.S.A. owners)

If your device is Rolling Code equipped, follow the steps under the heading “Programming the HomeLink” before proceeding with the steps listed below.

STEP1 Locate the training button on the ceiling mounted garage door opener motor. The exact location and color of the button may vary by brand of garage door opener. Refer to the operation manual supplied with the garage door opener for the location of the training button.

STEP2 Press the training button.

STEP3 Press and release the vehicle’s programmed HomeLink button twice. The garage door may open.3

If the garage door opens, the programming process is complete. If the Interior features door does not open, press and release the button a third time. This third press and release will complete the programming process by opening the garage door.

The ceiling mounted garage door opener motor should now recognize the HomeLink transceiver and operate the garage door.

STEP4 Repeat the steps above to program another rolling code system for any of the remaining HomeLink buttons.

I'm having troubles programing mine, too. I followed instructions, cleared the transmitter, but then it says to push the button you wish to operate and hold it till it starts flashing... but it starts flashing from the moment I push it. Don't know what to do with that.

Yeah...I have the same result following the instruction. Was hoping someone has luck with theirs and give tips.

I copy the file from user manual.

If programming a garage door opener, check to see if the garage door opens and closes. If the garage door does not operate, see if your garage transmitter is of the Rolling Code type. Press and hold the programmed HomeLink button. The garage door has the rolling code feature if the indicator light (on the HomeLink) flashes rapidly for 2 seconds and then remains lit. If your transmitter is the Rolling Code type, proceed to the heading “Programming a rolling code system”.

Programming a Rolling Code system (for U.S.A. owners)

If your device is Rolling Code equipped, follow the steps under the heading “Programming the HomeLink” before proceeding with the steps listed below.

STEP1 Locate the training button on the ceiling mounted garage door opener motor. The exact location and color of the button may vary by brand of garage door opener. Refer to the operation manual supplied with the garage door opener for the location of the training button.

STEP2 Press the training button.

STEP3 Press and release the vehicle’s programmed HomeLink button twice. The garage door may open.3

If the garage door opens, the programming process is complete. If the Interior features door does not open, press and release the button a third time. This third press and release will complete the programming process by opening the garage door.

The ceiling mounted garage door opener motor should now recognize the HomeLink transceiver and operate the garage door.

STEP4 Repeat the steps above to program another rolling code system for any of the remaining HomeLink buttons.

Sad to say that I tried this step and did not work. I clear the settings too. I wonder if there is any Lexus owner out there that got this to work. My sister in law has an Acura and she can't get hers to work either. I guess I'll just stick to my good ol' controller. :(

Sad to say that I tried this step and did not work. I clear the settings too. I wonder if there is any Lexus owner out there that got this to work. My sister in law has an Acura and she can't get hers to work either. I guess I'll just stick to my good ol' controller. :(

I've had HomeLink on probably 10 cars now, all worked fine with rolling code openers in 3 houses. I have had no problems following the instructions in the car manuals, accompanied by the instructions in the garage opener manuals regarding the learn button on the garage opener.

I changed openers and had trouble getting my home link to clear the old opener. It looked like it was working but would never take the new opener program on the old button. I tried again on a new button (the middle instead of far left) and it worked just like it was supposed to.

Jeff

I could not get the homelink to work for me as well and then I found a post here that did the trick. I can't find the original post but I kept a hardcopy of the instructions so here it goes. The key is to sync up a Homelink button and your garage remote first and then the homelink and the actual opener. This was the key for me as the instructions do not tell you that nor the dealer. First clear all the previous codes in the homelink. (as described in the owner's manual), then...

1. Hold down the button on the remote opener and the homelink button u want programmed. Once the light changes from a slow blinking light to a rapid blink, release both buttons.

2. Go to the actual opener and press the learn button once. Within 30 seconds, press the homelink button u programmed 3 times and it should work.

Good Luck!!!

I could not get the homelink to work for me as well and then I found a post here that did the trick. I can't find the original post but I kept a hardcopy of the instructions so here it goes. The key is to sync up a Homelink button and your garage remote first and then the homelink and the actual opener. This was the key for me as the instructions do not tell you that nor the dealer. First clear all the previous codes in the homelink. (as described in the owner's manual), then...

1. Hold down the button on the remote opener and the homelink button u want programmed. Once the light changes from a slow blinking light to a rapid blink, release both buttons.

2. Go to the actual opener and press the learn button once. Within 30 seconds, press the homelink button u programmed 3 times and it should work.

Good Luck!!!

I have an older garage and this is how it worked for me....

Use the garage remote ONLY.

Put the garage remote opener right next to homelink button on the car next to each other. Press homelink button (any button) and a slow blinking light comes on.....then press the garage remote button (the button that actually opens the garage door)...hold for about 20-30 sec until the homelink blink goes from slow to fast.

Release both garage remote button and homelink button...

Now you press homelink button and the garage door opens or closes. This worked for my 2000 RX and 2007 IS.

Good Luck!!!

I have an older garage and this is how it worked for me....

Use the garage remote ONLY.

Put the garage remote opener right next to homelink button on the car next to each other. Press homelink button (any button of your choice) and a slow blinking light comes on.....then press the garage remote button (the button that actually opens the garage door)...hold for about 20-30 sec until the homelink blink goes from slow to fast.

Release both garage remote button and homelink button...

Now you press homelink button and the garage door opens or closes. This worked for my 2000 RX and 2007 IS.

Alright, so your guys' directions worked. I wondered why I was having problems, so I looked back at the instructions in the manual... and there in lies the problem: poor technical writing skills in the manual. It's correct and clear in how to purge the memory of the Homelink transponder, but then it's this statement about programming it to open that screws it all up: "Push and hold down the button (of choice) for about 20 seconds until the indicator light begins to flash. While holding this button, follow steps 2 and 3 (which tell you how to bring the garage opener remote close)."

So, the manual is saying in a full sentence to push and hold the button of choice for 20 seconds until it starts flashing... but the light starts flashing right as you depress and hold it. So I'm thinking I'm doing something wrong because I don't need to push it for 20 seconds before it starts flashing. The reality is that as soon as you push and hold the button of choice (after clearing out the Homelink unit), you can bring your opener remote close and depress it for it to learn the code. Then it will register with the Homelink and the Homelink light will flash rapidly. Then you can go and teach the drive unit of the garage opener to learn the Homelink transmission. Once I figured out the manual gave the wrong instructions, and I followed your guys' instructions, programming it was a breeze. I've done my share of technical writing, and I know it's difficult to give clear directions that every person can interpret the same way, but that sentence in the manual is just misleading. Again, when programming the button of choice, you don't need to 'hold it for 20 seconds until it starts flashing'... it'll start flashing as soon as you depress and hold it and it's ready for your transmitter signal.

Good Luck!!!

divitra - thanks.....your steps works.... you rock.