Considering Rx400h

I am researching replacing my Grand Cherokee with either a BMW X5 or Lexus RX400H.

I have not owned either brand and am looking for real world opinions about the Lexus.

I want something that I can own for years and not have to worry about big bucks to keep it running. Most of my driving is a mix of city and local freeways in Atlanta.

Is the RX worth the extra $s for the mileage?

Any opinions would be appreciated.

Thanks,

The BMW X5 has had an "average" reliability rating throughout its lifespan. Its trouble areas have been power equipment, body hardware, electrical, and climate system. It runs on premium fuel only (I believe) and real-world averages approx 16 MPG (based upon comments from people I know who own them - mixture of city and highway.

Although the RX400h doesn't handle quite as aggressively as the X5, the RX is faster and real-world averages 23-28 MPG in mixed driving. We actually go two weeks before needing to fuel, whereas our 152 HP, 6-cylinder Nissan Quest would require fuel every week, and lots of it! Our RX runs great on regular gas - THAT also makes a big difference in overall costs.

We've had our RX400h for more than 2 years now and the only thing that the dealership had to do was tighten one of the wheel center caps. We have never had a more reliable vehicle and that includes a Honda Accord that we had previously. I have no doubt that if you are looking for a reliable vehicle that won't make you cringe every time you look at the fuel gauge, the RX400h is a perfect fit.

Dave

sure there are the reliability factors, and im all for you looking into the RX400h. WHen you say "many years", if that includes 8+ years, be careful. THe battery warranty lasts for 8 years only, and after that, if they do need to be changed (nobody knows yet), then that will be a few grand right there. I agree that the RX is a very very reliable car, and with the hybrid system, you get power and fuel economy. Its a win win situation. THe RX is cheaper too by a grand or so too.

However, the RX is due for a redesign next year, will be a 2009 model, that will be shown in 2008. The X5 however, was just redesigned, and if i may say so myself, looks much better than the previous version. So yeah, you might be stuck with an outdated look in less than 2 years.

I agree that the drive batteries represent a significant future expense. But, they may well come down in price over an 8 year span, and an extended warranty is available if desired.

Tom

Most of my driving is a mix of city and local freeways in Atlanta.

Is the RX worth the extra $s for the mileage?

Any opinions would be appreciated.

Thanks,

In town, you'll be ahead, but the more driving over 40 mph, the less difference in fuel mileage vs a normal engine. I get 30-31 while staying in our (small) town, but on a 150 mile trip on 2 and 4 lanes at 55 or 70 limits, the trip mileage is only 28. Both are with fuel economy conscious driving. The 400h has great acceleration, especially off the line, but you'll see a sharp drop in economy.

I appreciate the feedback each of you gave me on the RX and X5. It will be interesting to start the real world visits and test drives to see what is preferred.

I will do some more analysis to see how much driving we do in slow city environments Vs highway.

Thanks,