Transmission Issues

richy z

Hey, I need some help in regard to my transmission. My 1991 ls400 has 114k miles and it is having some issues. When cold it shifts fine but when it warms up it starts to shift into higher gears way too early and it really causes the car to struggle to accelerate. Also, the o/d can never be turned off and the light blinks sporadically as I drive when I have o/d engaged. Does anyone have any ideas as to what I can do to try to fix these problems. I plan to change the transmission mount soon because it is time for a new one and possibly flush the transmission, but I do need some help. Thanks.

-Richy Z

Yeah, LexLS.com is a great source!

I wouldn't recommend having someone flush your transmission at that age. There is a great DIY procedure at LexLS.com: http://www.lexls.com/tutorials/transmission/transflush.html

They title says flush but it's not a pressurized machine flush and would be much safer on your tranny. Just make sure to use Toyota T-IV ATF fluid only, available at your local Lexus or Toyota dealership.

• 2 months later...

I'm getting the same codes on my 92 LS400 and many of the same symptoms. When the engine reaches operating temperature I switch it off for about 10-15 seconds. On restart the transmission shifts smoothly through all the gears. The problem reappears when it cools down. Have you had any luck in determining what the codes 63 and 67 mean?