Thoughts On Black Sapphire Pearl?

I'm picking up my 07 IS 250 next week. I wanted it equipped a certain way and the dealer didn't have any in stock, although one was available (in a color I wanted) at another Lexus dealer in a nearby city (75 miles away). My dealer said that if I could wait a week he had one equipped the way I wanted coming in. He said he preferred not having to swap vehicles out with another dealer, so he gave me a better deal to take that car. Only thing is that the color of that car is Black Sapphire Pearl - a color that I had not even considered getting. Although he didn't have any IS 250's to show me in that color, he brought out an ES in Black Sapphire Pearl so I could get an idea of how that color looked on an actual car. I have to say I was impressed. The color chips in the showroom really don't do the color justice. In the shade, the car looks almost pure black, but in the sun it sparkles midnight blue. With the black leather interior, I think it will be an awesome combination, so I made the deal.

Not that I'm having second thoughts (the deal is done, anyway), but I am somewhat concerned that this color is going to be difficult to keep looking good. As awesome as the car will look when it's clean, will it look awful when it's not? I live in western NY, so the weather is not condusive to keeping a car clean for extended periods.

I am hoping that some IS owners who have Black Sapphire Pearl vehicles can offer their opinion on the color. Is it hard to keep clean? How often do you find yourself washing it? Is it prone to getting swirl marks when you wax it? And finally, would you get that color again?

Thanks for your help. I appreciate having some ideal on what to expect...

It's a great color - don't bother with second thoughts. I was going to get that color then thinking white, then went back to that color. It is a real head turner and classy too. Enjoy.

I took delivery of my 2007 IS250 - Black Sapphire Pearl in November of 2006. It now has about 11K miles on it. I like the color very much. Looks Black in low light and dark blue with a pearl sparkle in Sunlight.

Keeping it clean is the same for any other dark color, not too bad, yet a quick wash every few weeks keeps it looking good. To minimize any swirl marks from waxing, I NEVER wash or wax in the midday sunlight. I usually wash the car just just before dark or on a cloudy day, dry it, then pull it into the garage to wax. When you wash or wax in the direct sunlight the paint surface gets too hot and the car dries too fast before rinsing & the wax dries before being properly applied.

Have fun with your new IS! :cheers:

I took delivery of my 2007 IS250 - Black Sapphire Pearl in November of 2006. It now has about 11K miles on it. I like the color very much. Looks Black in low light and dark blue with a pearl sparkle in Sunlight.

Keeping it clean is the same for any other dark color, not too bad, yet a quick wash every few weeks keeps it looking good. To minimize any swirl marks from waxing, I NEVER wash or wax in the midday sunlight. I usually wash the car just just before dark or on a cloudy day, dry it, then pull it into the garage to wax. When you wash or wax in the direct sunlight the paint surface gets too hot and the car dries too fast before rinsing & the wax dries before being properly applied.

Have fun with your new IS! :cheers:

Thanks for the advice. I just can't wait to take delivery. Ordered the car a week ago today, and the dealer said the car was going to be here in the middle of this week. Give them a day to install the Sirius radio and the 3M clear bra, along with the other prep and I figure I'll pick her up on Thursday or Friday. The anticipation is killing me. This is worse than when I was a kid waiting for Christmas to arrive!

check out my post on here, there's some pics of mine. i have the black saphire pearl is250 w/ sterling interior and i love it

VERY impressive. Mine's going to have the black leather interior.

I'm getting more than a little anxious. Gonna give my salesman a call and see if they know where my car is. A week ago, it was "at the port". Hope they meant at some US port and not one in Japan :)

The dealer called me today and said my car was in! Had to wait until after work to pick her up, and even then it wasn't quite ready, since aside from the usual prep they had to install the 3M clear bra and Sirius radio. I barely got to see the car in the daylight since it was about 8:30 when I actually drove it off the lot. My salesman took forever to explain all the features of the car, especially how to use the nav system and bluetooth. I appreciated his taking the time to show me everything, but I was really thinking "Enough already - I want to roll on out of here!"

First impressions: drives great (less cushy ride/more road feel than on my RX, but that's a good thing), smooth powerful engine (more power than I expected since I got the IS 250 instead of the 350), quiet interior, nice stereo - Sirius sounds great.

I think I'm in love already!!!

BTW, it's raining now, so I'll get to see real quick how clean the Black Sapphire Pearl stays. I have a feeling I'll be washing her very soon... :D