92 Sc400, Yaktp (yet Another Key Trouble Post)

I'm a soon to be new owner of a 92 SC400, high mileage but incredible shape, everything works just fine but having key trouble. I'm hoping to hear about options from the more experienced owners on how to resolve this key problem described below. The search function on this site is tough to use for this problem since it doesn't like 3 letter word searches so I can't just search for "key" unfortunately. Google search on the site gave up some good info tho'

I have one worn out master key with the remote button that is real tough to get all the way into the cylinder barrel on the ignition, it'll start into the cylinder, go about 1/2 way and then start to bind up and that last 1/8" is near impossible. I'm scared sh!!!ess that the key will get stuck in there or that the cylinder will end up trashed and stop working at the worst possible time forcing me in to having it hauled to the dealer for their special type of magic on my wallet when I can least afford it. The same key in the door locks exhibits the same trouble but not quite as bad. once the key is in and seated in the cylinder (either door or ignition) then the side to side turning movement is very smooth

I've seen that cylinder barrels are available for other Lexus models, but didn't see anything specific about this with the SC4

I'm still kinda confused on the need for programming, while having the button on the key to open/close the door locks would be great I'd be able to live fine without it. But am I correct that it seems that the key needs to be programmed for the ECU to allow the motor to start?

So how would you resolve this problem? I'm assuming that the key that I have is worn out, I don't think that the owner has the original key set with the little tag that shows the key code. Am I after the HYQ1512A key?

I'm good with a wrench and a screwdriver so I'd like to do the replacement myself - but I'm unsure about how to approach the fix, what parts I should get and from where?

The info in this post (http://www.lexusownersclub.co.uk/forum/index.php?showtopic=7960) about "Is200: Changing Your Ignition Lock Barrel, and save yourself some ££££££££££££!" is well within my mechanical capabilities but would it work on the SC?

thanks in advance

Mike

You need to clean the tumbler as it is caked in dirt and sludge.

Spray some pb blaster over the course of a week in quick shots and inserting the key lightly to move the tumbler. It will slowly dissolve the dirt. then spray it out with contact clean when you have finished at the end of everything. Also clean the key

some new news on this, visited the previous owner tonight and he had run across a extra key that he had cut at some point. said that it opened the doors but wouldn't start the car - assuming that this is some sort of valet key. so i came home and tried it in all the locks and the tumblers/cylinders work great with this key, including the ignition -- the key enters the cylinder cleanly and moves thru all the positions but when in the start position it won't turn the starter over. I thought I'd read somewhere that holding the key with the transponder in it next to the ignition will allow the non transponder key to start the car, but no go.

so the good news is that all the lock cylinders are ok, and a cleanly cut key will work well with them, now I just need to replace the master key