Turn Signal Right--rapid Click Click Click?

this one must be a no brainer, but when i signal to go right, the signal flashes rapidly, when go left its normal. I assume its the bulb going dead? not sure which bulb it is exactly because when I look at the front and back they both look dimmer than when i check the left..any definite answer? thanks

this one must be a no brainer, but when i signal to go right, the signal flashes rapidly, when go left its normal. I assume its the bulb going dead? not sure which bulb it is exactly because when I look at the front and back they both look dimmer than when i check the left..any definite answer? thanks

I think that means a bulb is dead somewhere. If you can't tell, replace one then the other, or both at the same time.

If not, check fuse?

Ours did this once before (all the bulbs were fine). I rearended someone and the problem went away, LOL. It is doing this again right now...but all the bulbs are fine. I read somewhere that the contacts can be corroded and may need some cleaning, I haven't had a chance to look at my contacts. So when you go to check the bulbs, check everything else in there too.

Ours did this once before (all the bulbs were fine). I rearended someone and the problem went away, LOL.

So, I guess if checking your fuses and bulbs doesn't resolve the problem, then ramming your car into the car in front of you at a traffic light should take care of it.... :chairshot: hehehe

Ours did this once before (all the bulbs were fine). I rearended someone and the problem went away, LOL.

So, I guess if checking your fuses and bulbs doesn't resolve the problem, then ramming your car into the car in front of you at a traffic light should take care of it....:chairshot: hehehe

Hmmm...there is an idea! And sounds like it could be fun too! laughing.gif

This is a common malady that is traced back to resistance in the voltage to the turn signal bulbs. In my wife's 97 ES300 every 6 months I had to pull the left front turn signal bulb, reach into the bulb socket with a dental pick, and stretch the folded metal contacts that touched the bottom contacts of the bulb. Once stretched, and the bulb reinserted into the socket, a good contact was made and the turn signals on that side of the car went back to flashing at their normal rate. Our local Toyota dealership told me it was a common problem on Camry's in the same years as well.

This is a common malady that is traced back to resistance in the voltage to the turn signal bulbs. In my wife's 97 ES300 every 6 months I had to pull the left front turn signal bulb, reach into the bulb socket with a dental pick, and stretch the folded metal contacts that touched the bottom contacts of the bulb. Once stretched, and the bulb reinserted into the socket, a good contact was made and the turn signals on that side of the car went back to flashing at their normal rate. Our local Toyota dealership told me it was a common problem on Camry's in the same years as well.

Thanks, that just fixed something that had been driving me crazy for 2 months now on my 98. :whistles:

so my question is whats the best way of getting into the headlight/turn signal compartment and removing the headlights? and what tools will be required

Your first step is to remove the black plastic cover just in front of the radiator. It is held in place by numerous plastic clips that break easily, so be careful.

After this is removed, you can see the bolts which hold the headlight assembly in place. As I recall, there are three of them. Remove these, and you can pull the assembly straight out. It may be difficult to move if it has never been removed before. After the assembly is pulled out, you can access the turn signal compartment easily. Turn the bulb holder counter-clockwise, and you can pull it out.

• 1 month later...
ya makes sense, i lifted one flap up the other day, i need a socket or wrench in order to unlock it. so i need to look for a bulb, what do you all suggest? walmart? autozone?

I had this problem before and kinda got used with the rapid signal for few months until it's time for the car's DMV inspection, and of course, it did failed the inspection. To fix this problem, simply tap the signal light a little bit harder :chairshot: but not too hard `cuz you might break it. In most cases, that will work. Let me know what happens.

Rick