Arrrrrgh! Alignment!

mannye

My dealer gave me some !Removed! and bull story about a bent rim and then a blank stare when I asked if the could just put the "bent" one on the back and get that freaking right-hand pull fixed... Very annoying.

Is there some kind of secret to getting a 2004 LS 430 aligned? I keep the tire pressure at 33lbs on all 4 and I have the 18 rims with the sport suspension (not the variable height one).

My dealer gave me some !Removed! and bull story about a bent rim and then a blank stare when I asked if the could just put the "bent" one on the back and get that freaking right-hand pull fixed... Very annoying.

Is there some kind of secret to getting a 2004 LS 430 aligned? I keep the tire pressure at 33lbs on all 4 and I have the 18 rims with the sport suspension (not the variable height one).

41 views and nothing? So maybe I'm the only one with alignment problems? Did I miss something on the search? Someone want to pint me to the thread?

OK, I'll reply! :)

There is no secret to aligning your car. Getting it aligned is another matter. One would like to think that the local dealership would have the greatest ability to communicate to you exactly what the issues are with your vehicle and then perform the necessary services. Unfortunately, that is not always the case.

Your post was kind of skimpy so the following will be based on what I read into it.

If a wheel is bent very badly, then the rolling resistance will be increased and that can cause a pull (You didn't say which wheel was supposed to be bent - perhaps the right front?) If a wheel is bent badly, then the impact required to cause that kind of deformation can also cause internal damage to the tire which will also increase rolling resistance causing a pull. The wheel and tire may have absorbed the majority of the impact, but it is also possible that suspension components were bent/damaged as a result. The tire/wheel assembly could be rotated to the rear and an alignment performed, but the failure of that assembly to roll uniformly without vibration will adversely affect the suspension components on the axle on which it has been placed as well as the ride/handling characteristics of the vehicle. If indeed any components were bent at the time of the impact to the wheel, then adjusting alignment angles will only mask the now incorrect geometry of the suspension and steering which will also result in poor handling and premature tire wear even though it is "aligned".

I would recommend that you ask around to find a shop that is highly thought of when it comes to tire and alignment services. Take it to be diagnosed by them. Don't tell them what you think needs to be done. Just explain what symptoms you would like to have cured. Get them to explain their diagnosis and recommendations in detail. Even better if they will show you on the car what they found as they explain it. Ask them to prepare a written estimate with a detailed description of their findings. If you have any uncertainty as to their recommendations, then get a second opinion following the same steps. There is no need to tell them that you had "so-and-so look at it" or to tell them what you think should be done to fix it. You want them to determine the problems and solutions. Continue to get as many additional estimates as it takes for you to feel confident in what proper repairs/services are necessary to correct your problem/s.

Shame on the personnel at that Dealership for not communicating with you in a way that made you feel informed and taken care of.

WOW!

Now THAT'S what I call a response.. lol

Thanks for the advice!

Ever since I moved to South Florida I have been struggling with the absolute lack of skilled labor in the area. Anything, and I mean anything, from installing drywall to changing brakes, that requires even a miniscule amount craftsmanship is sure to be done so badly that I have become gun shy about doing anything if I can't do it myself.

Unfortunately something like this requires equipment and knowledge that I just don't have so the search for a competent shop begins... that's going to be my next post.

Somehow I feel that like body work, I will have to take a weekend and drive out of South Florida to your neck of the woods to get the job done right. (yes... it's THAT BAD down here.)

Craftsmanship. There's a concept that is rapidly becoming antiquated... and not just in your neck of the woods. And I know exactly what you mean about "if I can't do it myself". The older I get, the more disgusted I become at the slipshod workmanship across the board on EVERYTHING. I spend way more time researching and investigating than actually getting things done just to try and avoid the disappointment. That's why it's so great to find someone who truly treats their "job" as a craft.

Man............I am so turning into my Dad.......

Craftsmanship. There's a concept that is rapidly becoming antiquated... and not just in your neck of the woods. And I know exactly what you mean about "if I can't do it myself". The older I get, the more disgusted I become at the slipshod workmanship across the board on EVERYTHING. I spend way more time researching and investigating than actually getting things done just to try and avoid the disappointment. That's why it's so great to find someone who truly treats their "job" as a craft.

Man............I am so turning into my Dad.......

Amen brother, I mean Dad! :D