New Hybrid For Me

Expecting my 07 RX 400h tomorrow. :cheers:

Any advice, pitfalls, cool hints?

I thought my mirrors wern't working right, they didn't tilt when I backed up. I discovered that the switch has to be in the left or right position and not in he center. I also thought that using the "B" position would add to the electrical breaqking and recover more energy, but I found out it does just the opisite. None of the power is recovered in "B". For max imun fuel meconomy avoid using "B".

Expecting my 07 RX 400h tomorrow.:cheers:

Any advice, pitfalls, cool hints?

Leave the tire pressure at 40 psi and watch the tread wear closely for unevenness

If the car pulls to one side take it back and have the alignment checked/reset

study your users defaluts options and have them set at your free 1000 mi check. I changed a few of the factory setting to ones that suited my better. There are a couple of ones you can set yourself (in the manual) but the process is tedious and finiky

switch to sythetic oil at 10K

always leave the rearview mirror R/L selector switch on either side position (not in the middle) so that the rear view mirrors will automatically tilt down when you put the car in Reverse.

Get the Lexus rubber floor mats and plastic rear cargo mat to catch spills/drips, but wait for the Dealer to send you the complementary 20% off coupons. They came to me between my 5K and 10K service.

Dont' leave the sunroof ajar for venting on hot days. Dust and junk will get into tracks and gum it up... crack the windows instead

Don't let the lexus dealer replace your wipers... sheesh their expensive (yes, I learnt the hard way :chairshot: )

consider the Vias upgrade to Xm or iPod that you can install yourself. works great (mines the iPod, I'm not sure I would invest in Xm right now...)

Learn to use the Nav (if you have it). Belive me, once you get used to it, you will never want to have another car without it.

Get a Blue Tooth phone so you can drive safe® while talking on the phone.

learn to drive the HSD system for maximum economy. Best tip I got was to acc to cruising speed briskly (or just a bit faster), then take your foot completely OFF the acc pedel to get the electrics to kick in. Then smoothly and slowly ease back in the throttle to hold your cruise speed. You will be amazed at how easy it is to hold speed when it seems like you should be slowing down. This will get you record breaking MPG numbers.

Be aware the engine takes a few thousand miles to break in and for the MPG to come up. You should eventually be able to get a consistant 23-26 MPG depending on how agressively you drive.

Most of all... ENJOY

Yes, as the earlier post spoke of regarding Lexus service; You don't HAVE to pay hundreds and do all the nonsense 'suggested' schedueled service that's set forth in the laundry list of maintenance services. Sure, ICE air filter, cabin air filter, oil & filter, etc . . . but Lexus (as do other dealers as well) racks up a TON more $$$ than necessary on 'suggeested' maintenance.

Yes, as the earlier post spoke of regarding Lexus service; You don't HAVE to pay hundreds and do all the nonsense 'suggested' schedueled service that's set forth in the laundry list of maintenance services. Sure, ICE air filter, cabin air filter, oil & filter, etc . . . but Lexus (as do other dealers as well) racks up a TON more $$$ than necessary on 'suggeested' maintenance.
You are right, a lot of the stuff they pushon you is not really needed.

Cabin air filter? I am one of those nuts you see that drive around in the summer with the windows open when it is 90 degrees. I like fresh air and keep my windows open unless it is cold out and In have the heat on, or sometimes I roll up the windows in the summer if I don't want stuff blown all over the car and out the window at 60 MPH so I don't care about a cabin air filter.

PS I hope I am not forced into buying one because some kind of dirty filter alarm goes off and disables my climate control.

for the most part good advice, however for my taste while i agree that the 30 or 32 psi reccomended for the tires is too low, the 40 psi from the factory results in too harsh a ride for this car. i am much happier at 34 to 36. with out getting into a whole synthetic oil debate, (i use a synthetic blend in all my vehicles), isnt it true that toyota doesnt release you from the 5k oil changes to keep your car under warranty even tho your full synthetic will go much farther) This vehicle also doesnt need a ton of extra service other than the oil, filter, under hood checks and traction battery load check they do at each service. do make sure those tires are rotated and i second everyone who said keep it in alignment. hope like hell u got the michelins instead of the goodyears, and i would now insist that if the goodyears are on the vehicle at delivery that they trade them for michelins at no charge.

enjoy your vehicle, and know you have purchased a safe, fuel efficient for its size, reliable product that will be if not the best, one of the favorite vehicles you have ever owned. feel free to ask this community any questions you may have as they have been a great resource for all of us who are 400h owners.

also consider the 3M (clear film) protection of the front bumper and hood. ask the dealer for a discount on this high mark up item or have it done aftermarket. it will keep the many rock chips and road damage off your car and give it a higher resale value. I am not talking about the 'permanent wax' option they try to sell, but the actual film that is applied to protect the vulnerable areas in front of the car.

write in when u take delivery, welcome

I have 8500 miles on my 400h...

1.I get 24mpg no matter how hard or easy I drive.

2. Mine came with the Michelin tires, no problems with those.

3. I purchased a serius satalite system from a stereo shop, they went in and replaced the XM brain, so the serius is displayed through nav system and has no external wires or parts. Attena is a small flat disc right above rear brake light, hardly visable, again no exposed wires. Works great.

4. Blue tooth phone has a few flaws, but i use it all day. I had to take my phone into the dealer ( they have a bluetooth guy) he transfered my phone book into the system, 250 contacts. It seems the rx400h does not do this function easily with most phones. I was used to using my motorola bluetooth ear piece, and the voice command system on that works like magic...you lose this capability with the "in car" system. Incoming calls are awesome, Caller ID on nav system...stereo shuts off and one button on steeing wheel answers the call. Speed dials on nav system are fast and easy for outgoing calls, you get 18 I think...all other calls are easier done from the phone itself, less safe then my old motorola.

5. Voice command button on steering wheel is useless.

6. Overall I love the car, it rides like a dream.

Rockitogden,

What did you replace? How did you "replace" the Xm brain? I have spoken with at least 3 authorized Lexus dealers, and they all say this is impossible. Either you pay the $1000+ for the factory XM, or add an aftermarket satellite radio.

PLEASE share what and how you did, and what exactly you purchased. Thanks a lot!!

40 PSI, really? The manual says 30 PSI for the 2007 400h. Is yours different?

I suggest 34-36 psi. The 30 psi listed in the manual and on the door jam sticker is incorrect. (Many of us learned the hard way!)

Not different, similarly incorrect. Its been widely discussed that the recommended tire pressure is too low. The MAX tire pressure (goodyear anyway) is 46 psi. I've been running the latter half of my tire wear at 46 psi to make up for the uneven wear caused by running them at 32 which the Lexus dealer recommended.

Also, I tend to corner a bit harder than most drivers (when I'm alone at least) so that puts extra wear on the edges too.

For these reasons I come down on the high side of the tire pressure debate at 40 psi. But If you start there and watch for uneven wear in the center, you can always run lower... in the mean time, you get better MPG and handling.

YMMV (litterally)

at 46 psi dont you find your ride extremely harsh?

The ride is noticalby different between 32 and 46, but I wouldn't qualify it as "extremely harsh". Personally, I like the added road feel. My last car was a Toyota Supra (luxury sports car).

That said, I don't plan to run the new tires at 46 psi because, as I said, I'm doing this to compensate for ~15K mi of wear at 32 psi. I think 40 psi is right in the middle, to the high side, and should result in even wear with crisp handling. But, I plan to keep an eye on my new tires for signs of uneven wear in the middle.

Rockitogden,

What did you replace? How did you "replace" the Xm brain? I have spoken with at least 3 authorized Lexus dealers, and they all say this is impossible. Either you pay the $1000+ for the factory XM, or add an aftermarket satellite radio.

PLEASE share what and how you did, and what exactly you purchased. Thanks a lot!!

Deutsch100,

I went to AL and Ed's auto sound www.al-eds.com. They did the whole job for me, cost was about $750.00, but I figure it is a one time investment and I spend many hours a day in my car. I believe they had to pull the dash apart, but they did an excellent job and know one would know it wasn't factory installed. Lexus has an exclusive agreement with XM, so they can't tell you that it is possible to install Sirius. All touch screen and actual radio functions work perfectly with Sirius Radio.

Good luck,

Rockitogden

Rockitogden,

Deutsch100,

I went to AL and Ed's auto sound www.al-eds.com. They did the whole job for me, cost was about $750.00, but I figure it is a one time investment and I spend many hours a day in my car. I believe they had to pull the dash apart, but they did an excellent job and know one would know it wasn't factory installed. Lexus has an exclusive agreement with XM, so they can't tell you that it is possible to install Sirius. All touch screen and actual radio functions work perfectly with Sirius Radio.

Good luck,

Rockitogden

Thanks Rockitogden! I appreciate the reply. That's pretty $, as Longo Lexus here in So.Cal quoted $800 for the install including parts and labor. Granted, that was for XM, and I do like Sirius better. In the past, I've found out that, god forbid, if you have any kind of electrical problems, ALL auto manufacturers and dealers, will try and blame your aftermarket additions for any and all problems. It's kind of their way of making you do this stuff at the dealer, get screwed with prices, for equipment that they want you to have.

• 2 weeks later...

:rolleyes:

Rockitogden,

Deutsch100,

Good luck,

Rockitogden

Thanks Rockitogden! I appreciate the reply. That's pretty $, as Longo Lexus here in So.Cal quoted $800 for the install including parts and labor. Granted, that was for XM, and I do like Sirius better. In the past, I've found out that, god forbid, if you have any kind of electrical problems, ALL auto manufacturers and dealers, will try and blame your aftermarket additions for any and all problems. It's kind of their way of making you do this stuff at the dealer, get screwed with prices, for equipment that they want you to have.

I agree about aftermarket stuff, but I gotta have my Howard Stern!

:rolleyes:

Not different, similarly incorrect. Its been widely discussed that the recommended tire pressure is too low. The MAX tire pressure (goodyear anyway) is 46 psi. I've been running the latter half of my tire wear at 46 psi to make up for the uneven wear caused by running them at 32 which the Lexus dealer recommended.

Also, I tend to corner a bit harder than most drivers (when I'm alone at least) so that puts extra wear on the edges too.

For these reasons I come down on the high side of the tire pressure debate at 40 psi. But If you start there and watch for uneven wear in the center, you can always run lower... in the mean time, you get better MPG and handling.

YMMV (litterally)

Running 46lbs on tires rated for 46lbs fails to allow for heat expansion. Tires can EASILY expand 5lbs on warm days, and thus one would be asking for trouble. Sure, running higher pressure than stated will benefit you, but too much of a good thing is NOT a good thing. don't take my word for it . . .as your local tire person, & they'll tell you the same thing . . . that running on the harry edge of too many lbs is courting touble.

That being said; As for a rougher ride ... sure the stock tires will feel worse at higher pressure. After they quickly wear out, get a nice set of Michelins ... like the Energy MX4's. Not only will they wear 2X better ... they'll handle way better at elevated pressures. ok that's my 2 cents ... after 1.5 years and 17K miles of 400h experience.

Running 46lbs on tires rated for 46lbs fails to allow for heat expansion.

Perhaps I should remember to include the word COLD whenever I state ANY tire pressure. The tire pressure is always implied to be at room temperature (COLD) so there is a common denominator everyone can use and understand. Of course the tire mfgr has to take into account the increase in pressure from running at the temperatures rated on the side of the tire (at max pressure and load ratings) in order to address thier liablity.

That being said; As for a rougher ride ... sure the stock tires will feel worse at higher pressure. After they quickly wear out, get a nice set of Michelins ... like the Energy MX4's. Not only will they wear 2X better ... they'll handle way better at elevated pressures. ok that's my 2 cents ... after 1.5 years and 17K miles of 400h experience.

I think it is becomming clear that the Michlens will provide a softer ride (for any given pressure) than the Goodyears. The Goodyears seem to be able to provide better handling and steering response than the Michlens but will ride harder (again, pressures being equal). Unfortunately, they seem to need to be run at elevated pressures to get even tire wear.

Now the question of whether one can drive a soft running Michlen to better performance by running at higher pressures, I don't think anyone here has commneted on or addressed. I would be interested in hearing from anyone who has done this. But in general, I would prefer to have a performance tire that is able to be run as designed at the pressures recommened by Lexus...and provide the best steering response. The BF Goodrich tire seems to be a move in that direction and the Hankook may extend that even further.

Now the question of whether one can drive a soft running Michlen to better performance by running at higher pressures, I don't think anyone here has commneted on or addressed. I would be interested in hearing from anyone who has done this. But in general, I would prefer to have a performance tire that is able to be run as designed at the pressures recommened by Lexus...and provide the best steering response. The BF Goodrich tire seems to be a move in that direction and the Hankook may extend that even further.

Hi Skyfish,

We've had our Michelin Hydroedge's on the Prius and run the max safe pressure & they're wearing great. Very long warranty, and the wear appears to be right on scheduel. Our 400h Goodyears are shot and will be replaced w/ the same Michelins in just a couple weeks (TWICE A YEAR costco sale ... I've seen several folks here go waaah waaah due to Michelin hig prices ... but costco? during the twice a year sale? Great!). Mileage dropped just a tiny bit, but with the 90K mile warranty (WOW ! !) ~ that more than makes up for it.

Hi Skyfish,

We've had our Michelin Hydroedge's on the Prius and run the max safe pressure & they're wearing great. Very long warranty, and the wear appears to be right on scheduel. Our 400h Goodyears are shot and will be replaced w/ the same Michelins in just a couple weeks (TWICE A YEAR costco sale ... I've seen several folks here go waaah waaah due to Michelin hig prices ... but costco? during the twice a year sale? Great!). Mileage dropped just a tiny bit, but with the 90K mile warranty (WOW ! !) ~ that more than makes up for it.

But those tires don't come in the size you need for the 400h... and the Michlens that do are not as highly rated.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/surveyresult...lay.jsp?type=AS

[but those tires don't come in the size you need for the 400h... and the Michlens that do are not as highly rated.

That chart is missing THE single most important item to hypermilers (not important to many Lexus owners, but to us Prius owners, more important). "Rolling Resistance" I'm at work, & don't have THAT link at my fingertips. The rolling resistance issue seems to be a closly garded secret between tire manufacturers, because it's not readily doled out . . . and yes, the Hydroedge doesn't come in the 400h size, but there IS a very similar (compound) version of it that does. Again, it's at home. MX4? Something like that.

mine cane with 36 psi i called the dealer he said 33 psi for a soft ride

who knows who is right ?????? i will try going back to 36 for better mpg

so far i love the car it does everything the way it is supposed to

still getting used to all the bells and whistles there are plenty of them

[but those tires don't come in the size you need for the 400h... and the Michlens that do are not as highly rated.

That chart is missing THE single most important item to hypermilers (not important to many Lexus owners, but to us Prius owners, more important). "Rolling Resistance" I'm at work, & don't have THAT link at my fingertips. The rolling resistance issue seems to be a closly garded secret between tire manufacturers, because it's not readily doled out . . . and yes, the Hydroedge doesn't come in the 400h size, but there IS a very similar (compound) version of it that does. Again, it's at home. MX4? Something like that.

The available Michlens are shown here

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/surveyresult...;speed_rating=Y

The Pilot HX MXM4 is a crappy tire according to this chart. This is the OEM tire some of the folks here are sporting. Seems to get better MPG than the Goodyear, tho.... (rolling resistance???)

The other Michlen is the Michelin Energy MXV4 S8 which is $45 cheaper than the OEM (less techinical compound???) and is 10 pts better than the OEM (% rank in Grand Touring catagory is 76% as opposed to 66% for the OEM)

This is probably the tire for you (except for the rolling resistance issue???). But as compared to the BF Goodrich which is at 96% of its catagory (Highway all season), the Michlen falls way short of the mark .

Here are the catatories and what they mean, along with the tires that go with them...

Grand Touring All Season - Passanger: Michlens

You want all-season versatility (including light snow traction) and responsive handling along with noise and ride comfort.

Branded with the M+S symbol and capable of providing year-round traction (even in light snow), these tires are designed to blend a performance tire's appearance with a passenger tire's smooth, quiet ride. Grand Touring All-Season tires are often used as Original Equipment and place more emphasis on handling and high-speed capabilities than Standard Touring tires.

High Performance All Season - Passenger: Goodyear

You want all-season versatility (including light snow traction) to drive your sports coupe or sedan in all weather conditions.

Branded with the M+S symbol, these low profile tires are designed to provide year-round traction (even in light snow) through tread designs and compounds that remain flexible in the cold weather to help blend all-season traction with good handling.

Highway All Season - Light Truck/SUV: BF Goodrich, Hankook*

The worst driving conditions your light truck encounters are gravel roads and snow-covered highways.

Branded with the M+S symbol and capable of providing year-round traction (even in light snow), these light tuck/SUV tires feature small, independent tread blocks positioned around the tire to maintain very good on-road performance, as well as traction on gravel roads, in sand and moderate snow.

High Performance - Light Truck/SUV: Toyo

You want your pickup or sport utility vehicle to be a little bit more of a "street machine," yet need all-season capabilities.

These tires let you upgrade your vehicle's handling and looks when used to replace Original Equipment tires by offering white or black letter styling, good traction and handling. The Street/Sport Truck All-Season tires' extreme tread widths reduce the traction these tires can provide on ice and in snow.

* Hankook Ventus ST RH06 had tread blocks, but the newer RA07 look more like the BF Goodrich.

Rockitogden,

Deutsch100,

Good luck,

Rockitogden

Still here (as in Still haven't purchased my own 2007 RX400h. ) Forgive me for asking this question again, but which options did you get and how much did you pay for your car? I'm right on the verge of buying from the local dealership and I still need to know what to specifically look/ask for. I got a Consumer's Reports print out and have told the salesperson that I want him to match the Costco quote (which I haven't even ordered yet), and he is being evasive about quoting me a an exact number: "I can guarantee that you will be happy with our price and that it will be even lower than Costco" is what he has told me. (There isn't a Costco dealership representative anywhere nearby either -- the nearest is about 400 miles away, but I am willing to do what I need to do to get a reasonable price -- I do understand that the salespeople need to make a living too, but three to five hundered dollars per car should be sufficient, don't you think?) After reading this thread I think I want the Michelin tires and the Bluetooth and Ipod capabilities. I loved the Navigation system when I was test driving.)