New Member With ?'s On 300/400

Hi everyone.

I'm brand new to this forum, and am very excited to have joined.

I'm new to the Lexus brand. My dad just bought his first luxury car, which is a fully loaded 07 ES350 (Black Sapphire w/ Tan int. Nav. Ultimate Luxury Package) and having no prior experience with lexus, I am very impressed. I don't own a lexus yet, but my dream car for the time being is either an sc300 or 400.

Currently I've been modding a volvo s80 non-turbo, but have hit a dead end with performance upgrades or turbo setups. I came to the sad conclusion that I was working with a car that was FWD, heavy, and slow. I've done cosmetic and appearance mods to the car to make it more of a european sports-like sedan, but there is literally no aftermarket for this car, which has made me want to just keep it reliable and my daily driver.

Which, herein...lies my new quest. I am definately keeping my volvo as my main car. It's comfy and gets decent gas mileage. But now I would like to build a Lexus sc300 or 400. They're RWD and I've seen the outrageous potential that these cars have. My inspiration to get one of these cars was aimlessly looking at vids on streetfire when I came across some vids of a twin turbo 300. It got me hooked. Now I'm in the market for one but am divided on which model I should focus on.

Basically what I am looking for is not a daily driver. It's going to be a serious canyon carver/weekend cruiser/drag strip runner (suspension upgrades front to back) have decent power but not outrageous or impossible to obtain, either naturally aspirated or turbocharged depending on what engine and/or if a 2jz engine swap is ultimately decided. It has to be streetable, be california smog legal, and not take away from the luxury feel that Lexus are famous for. Daily driveability is not an issue, so higher sound levels and engine performance is open, but still has to be bearable just to enjoy a drive on weekends etc.

The next question is this: which is better for performance mods? the sc300 or 400? Both IMO seem to have both their good pros and cons. The 300 has an inline 6 )1jz I believe. It's an awesome powerplant but I hear they are weak in stock form and most just chuck them for a supra drivetrain. Then there's the 400. It has a 1uze or something Toyota V8 engine that I personally like. I like V8 cars coming from a mostly american musclecar background, but have wanted to expand to playing around with foreign cars.

The bottom line is I am going to pick either the sc 300 or 400 based ENTIRELY on aftermarket support. I bought my volvo with the intention to mod it to make it a european canyon carver that would be my DD but hit a dead end when I found out nobody even makes the stuff I want to put on it. The car has to have readily avaliable engine parts, headers, turbos, bodykits....just anything that is out there made by companies that are specifically made for the car. The reason why aftermarket backing to me is important because I am a 19 year old guy that is going to school part time and have a full time job. It pays decent so I have funds to play with my cars but because I'm young and starting out I'm on a budget...and it's going to take me some time to save up the money for a 2nd car to play with. Not forever, but awhile. So that's a factor too.

Well, I hope that explains everything. Glad to be here again and if anybody can guide me in the right direction, awesome! :cheers:

-Peace

budget is open, but not over 10k total. This is all open again. But the only thing funding my "habit" is my job as an entry level computer tech when I'm not at school. It pays more than min wage plus comission. I can do pretty much what I want, it will just take some time to save up.

The goal of the project is to make it a performance oriented vehicle that can drift, handle, and occasionally go to the drag strip.It also has to look good and not sacrifice comfort for the driver and passenger. I'm willing to put in racing seats, harnesses and a rollcage. Even put it on a diet some, but not sacrifice it to the point where it's not a luxurious Lexus that's a nice car to drive in. I'm not looking for hardcore hp, but something that will be respectable and be a noticeable difference over stock. Suspension is a big deal too. I want to do that as well. So basically I'm not looking for an everyday car, I already have one. This one can be more "hardcore" as a street/track car but it has to be civilized as well. Stay luxurious but play hard and 2 step with all the other modded cars when I want to. I'd like to get into drifting as a hobby but I'm not interested in makeing a race only vehicle. I want something purpose built, but I can drive to the track, race and perform with all the other cars, and then when everything is done...drive me home. That's where I'm asking for help and where I know compromises will have to be made.

I will be doing most of the work myself. I'd like to save as much on labor as I can because that's where the cost of this stuff gets you. Bolt ons I am not afraid to do at all (headers...exhaust...etc). I get a little squeemish and unfamiliar when it comes to an engine rebuild because I am inexperienced, but know how to tear down a motor. It's just putting one back together I have yet to do. But again, I'd like to do one on my own and learn. Because this will be a dedicated project, I don't have to worry about tearing it apart over the weekend and needing to finish it before monday so I have a car to get around in etc. The only thing I think I'd send out is machining for the block and heads...and any fabrication that needs to be done. I'm really comfortable turning a wrench, and while I can honestly say I'm not a mechanic I'm an enthusiast who knows the basics and would like to learn more.

But the more bolt ons or off the shelf parts I can use, the better. That way I don't have to pay out the wallet for something custom made to be fabricated.

So, would you rather have a FI car or just a really nice looking ride? It's going to cost you nearly 10g's to properly turbo that car but it wouldn't look like you had 10g's invested into styling. Are you going for stunning looks or just a fun/fast car to drive?

A little bit of both would be nice. A car has to look as good as it performs IMO. But fun/fast is more of my goal. I already have one car that looks STUNNING with about every single appearance/styling mod I've been able to do to it, but the looks just don't overpower the fact that my DD is slow. Very slow.

I'm not looking for a show dropping show car to build, just something sharp that has some mods to make moderate power over stock and can play at the track.

I'm kinda leaning towards the sc400 at this point because while turbos are fun, I think the v8 would be a little more flexible in gaining more power. The only downside is I heard that they have no aftermarket compared to the 300.

I can find a fix for you, for under 10g's. Semi-built motor, pushing well over 400whp. Decent styling (suspension make-over) and just the basic bread and butter. BTW, V8's are not able to make up for what a good FI system is able to net. I mean, 4 banger honda's are already pushing those numbers.

alright. Yeah though, definately interested. Now I just gotta do the search for a good sc300. What should I be looking out for?

Anyways, will let you know once I get the car.

You know, theoretically speaking; If money were no object, couldn't you get more power out of the 4.0? I mean, twin turbo whatever... It'd be all custom I would think because of lack of mass-produced aftermarket performance parts on that engine, but like I said, if money were no object...

Hahaha yeah I know. I catch myself thinking to myself... God, I wish I had gobs of money, then I would put like 100K into this SC400 and it'd be the fastest lexus ever... Then I'm like... Wait, I'm an idiot. It's ok though, because now I'm thinking about getting a bike too haha.

Same here...I'm in the market for a 600rr.

Ya, I'm kinda screwed now though. I can't get a loan on a bike until at least November because I JUST got the loan on the Lex. First payment is due the 15th actually. So... It's either save some cash quick and get a cheap bike for now, or just plain old wait til next year... booo... :(