04 Rx330 Brakes

davezander

Just bought a 40 RX330 with 43,000 miles on it.

Going to be changing the front brake pads. Anyone do this on the RX. Anything to be aware of. Any Special tools required?

Thanks,

Dave

I think that you will find the thread on brakes, pads, and rotors that was here recently has that information. Iirc, you remove one bolt and then the whole caliper pivots up?/down? and then you merely remove the old pads and replace them. Of course, the usual requirements need to be met - clean and re-grease the shims, scuff the new pads with sand paper, etc.

Gary

btw, just did a five tire rotation and checked the pads. 3/8" of material left on the original pads with 30500 miles. :)

Going to be changing the front brake pads. Anyone do this on the RX. Anything to be aware of. Any Special tools required?

Thanks,

Dave

I think that you will find the thread on brakes, pads, and rotors that was here recently has that information. Iirc, you remove one bolt and then the whole caliper pivots up?/down? and then you merely remove the old pads and replace them. Of course, the usual requirements need to be met - clean and re-grease the shims, scuff the new pads with sand paper, etc.

Gary

btw, just did a five tire rotation and checked the pads. 3/8" of material left on the original pads with 30500 miles. :)

The single "bolt" you remove is also a "slider" for the caliper and you need two wrenches, one to hold the slider so the attached dust boot doesn't twist and be damaged from turning as you loosen the bolt/slider. I NEVER use (specialty) grease except on the sliders themselves and the sliding contact points for the caliper body. There is also a specialty rubber based material that can be used to coat the shims and pad backing to help quiet braking noise. If the leading and trailing edges of the pads are not already chamfered, most are, then you should do so yourself.

Since I want the best braking HP I can get I NEVER buy pads that have a life/duration warranty involved. I want pads that EAT rotors for lunch..!!

That generally limits me to the highest priced pads I can buy that do not have a warranty attached.

Thanks,

Dave

I am taking my in. Dealer charging 285 for pad and rotor plus I get a loaner car to drive around. Wish I was more handy...

Thanks,

Dave

I am taking my in. Dealer charging 285 for pad and rotor plus I get a loaner car to drive around. Wish I was more handy...

What you need is a friend to help you. Watch him do your pads and you will realize that you don't need to be handy to change brakes. This is so easy "a cave man can do it". ;)

Jack the car up, take the wheel off, remove one bolt, pivot the caliper out. Take out old pads, insert new pads. Reverse the rest of the process.

Thanks,

Dave

What you need is a friend to help you. Watch him do your pads and you will realize that you don't need to be handy to change brakes. This is so easy "a cave man can do it". ;)

Jack the car up, take the wheel off, remove one bolt, pivot the caliper out. Take out old pads, insert new pads. Reverse the rest of the process.

Grumpa,

I hear ya but somethings are better left to the pros. Shame to say I am not that handy and did not want to end up having to pay for a tow truck and someone to fix my problem. Did not inherit the handy genes... :D :D

Grumpa,

I hear ya but somethings are better left to the pros. Shame to say I am not that handy and did not want to end up having to pay for a tow truck and someone to fix my problem. Did not inherit the handy genes... :D :D

I know lots of folks who say that something as essential as brakes should be left to the experts. Believe me, if I thought I was endangering my wife or either of my grandkids I wouldn't do this. I am a pilot and I figure that if they can teach me to fly a new airplane I can learn brakes. Been doing them, including caliper rebuilding, for over 20 years. If you aren't comfortable doing brakes however, then by all means let someone else do it. Great peace of mind. Besides, I am running out of day time hours to do the things that keep getting added to my "honey do" list. ;)

I was pleasantly surprised during my last tire rotation to see so much pad material left on all four corners. :)

Gary

Grumpa,

I know lots of folks who say that something as essential as brakes should be left to the experts. Believe me, if I thought I was endangering my wife or either of my grandkids I wouldn't do this. I am a pilot and I figure that if they can teach me to fly a new airplane I can learn brakes. Been doing them, including caliper rebuilding, for over 20 years. If you aren't comfortable doing brakes however, then by all means let someone else do it. Great peace of mind. Besides, I am running out of day time hours to do the things that keep getting added to my "honey do" list. ;)

I was pleasantly surprised during my last tire rotation to see so much pad material left on all four corners. :)

Gary

"...let someone else do it....."

Someone else...you can trust...

That's why I do my own.

"...pleasantly surprised...." "...so much pad material left..."

Assuming normal useage and the "implied" mileage that would be strong cause for worry for me.

Maybe I've said this too many times but I want brake pads that EAT rotors for lunch and vice versa.

Braking HP means friction, lots of FRICTION.

Grumpa,

Gary

Wish you were my next door neighbour.... I would love to learn and do it myself. I do my own oil change on both my Hondas... now I have to learn how to for my Lexus.