Heat From Transmission Area?

Hi, I just bought a 92 sc300 auto.

I notice when I driving about 10 minutes,

my interior shifter and arm rest area will get very warm like heater is on.

I don't know is it normal or something wrong with the transmission.

DO you guys have the same problem?

Common problem... I have a 92 SC300 with same problem. best thing to do is to rip out all the carpet and center console then put down some high heat dynamat (the kind made for hoodliner) then replace the carpet and console. Helps reduce heat transfer and also quiets down road noise. :cheers:

• 1 year later...

Hi,

I have an SC400, and the console area also gets warm. Is this a sign that the transmission is over-heating? Does the car monitor trasmission fluid temerature? I have had the car for several years, but I never really noticed this until someone asked me if it was normal. I just had it in at the dealership, and they checked the transmission area, and it appears OK. The transmission fluid was changed, since it had most likely never been changed.

Thanks

Ken

Hi,

I have an SC400, and the console area also gets warm. Is this a sign that the transmission is over-heating? Does the car monitor trasmission fluid temerature? I have had the car for several years, but I never really noticed this until someone asked me if it was normal. I just had it in at the dealership, and they checked the transmission area, and it appears OK. The transmission fluid was changed, since it had most likely never been changed.

Thanks

Ken

HI Ken,

I have a 95sc400 and I also have noticed that the center console area gets warm. I have a 145,000 and it's still running great. If your haveing the same issue, I bet that it's normal for that area to get a bit warm.

Has anbody else seen this too?

I had the problem when I had my five speed trans in my SC300. When I swaped in the 6-speed I put in the high heat Dynamat and I havent had and heat transfer any more. I would put some more Dynamat in the center console. It only takes a few hours and is cheap

I have the same problem, I can feel a lot of heat come from the ebrake. I almost have to put on A/C on all the time. I would like to know how we can solve this issue also.

kinda in the same boat here. except the heat's coming from around the vent on the left of the steering wheel..

I have the same problem too. I think it because there a leak between the cat and the exhaust pipe. The hot air is escaping and stuff. When i rev the car and opened my door to feel if it was leaking or not. And it was, i could feel the hot air from under the car. Either that leaking or it just the fan blowing the heat away from the engine.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
welcome to lexus sc300/400 the hottest interior on earth..........nothing is wrong with your cars these :censored: are hot no matter what

I have a 2006 is250 awd and the transmission area, where the right leg rest is hot as well, don't know if thats normal as well.......

• 1 month later...
welcome to lexus sc300/400 the hottest interior on earth..........nothing is wrong with your cars these :censored: are hot no matter what

I have a 2006 is250 awd and the transmission area, where the right leg rest is hot as well, don't know if thats normal as well.......

Yeah I have recently bought 95 SC400 and had the same problem. My car is 180K miles and because it needed an oil change I took it to Volvoline. Over there I have sealed the transmission fliud bay, rear differantial bay, oil bay because of the minor leaks, and flushed motor and transmission and differential, and changed my oil, transmission oil, differential oil and my coolent. Before that I was getting somewhat disturbing heat from under the steering wheel and transmision area. After the service, I did not have the heat. However my transmission area is still warm so I guess it is normal. I assume that the working temperatures for these cars are a little bit higher and when considered the time that they have been driven, the insulation might be loosing its power. All in all I guess its normal:)

Yeah I have recently bought 95 SC400 and had the same problem. My car is 180K miles and because it needed an oil change I took it to Volvoline. Over there I have sealed the transmission fliud bay, rear differantial bay, oil bay because of the minor leaks, and flushed motor and transmission and differential, and changed my oil, transmission oil, differential oil and my coolent. Before that I was getting somewhat disturbing heat from under the steering wheel and transmision area. After the service, I did not have the heat. However my transmission area is still warm so I guess it is normal. I assume that the working temperatures for these cars are a little bit higher and when considered the time that they have been driven, the insulation might be loosing its power. All in all I guess its normal:)

• 7 years later...

I noticed the same problem when I bought my first sc400.

I noticed the exhause is very close to the trans and I wrapped my cats and exhaust with  Fiberglass Header Exhaust Heat Wrap . What a difference it made.

The shifter barely warmed up after this. It worked for me.