Engine Noise

wgwollet

I have a 2001 RX300 with the 3.0L. The engine has a "lifter" noise.

The dealer mechanic told me not to worry....no big deal its just a lifter making noise. It can be fixed but for some dough. He told me to leave alone.

But it noisly and I don't like it.

Any ideas about this?

:cries:

I hope you dont have a sludge problem, however do some research, type in seafoam on this site, You may be able to quiet the lifter by running some seafoam through the engine oil. But the oil would have to be changed right afterwards. If you are not a do it yourselfer, than a good engine cleaner added to the oil and then getting a oil change right afterwards according to the manufacturors recommendations may help. You may just have a sticking lifter. Switching to a good synthetic oil afterwards would be recommended.

• 1 month later...

I've got the same thing... a faint little lifter clammer when under load. I'm sure it's not a big deal, but I also don't like noises like that come out from under my hood. What I have found out about the 1MZ-FE engine (which is what is in the RX300) is that it uses "selective fit (thickness) lifters", which are mechanical, in their valve-trains. Because they are mechnical, they don't 'pump up' and take up the slack with wear... but then also don't ever crush down like hydraulic lifters.

So, with that said, it looks like these engines have a set length mechanical lifter, and there isn't much adjusting that can be done to the lash. What I'm going to do is go to a thicker synthetic oil, run a quart of Rislone in there (since the 1MZ-FE tends to get a little sludgy with age and hopefully the Rislone will disolve some of the carbon and other deposits that might not be letting the valves seat properly), and see if that quiets things down a bit.

I have a 2001 RX300 with the 3.0L. The engine has a "lifter" noise.

The dealer mechanic told me not to worry....no big deal its just a lifter making noise. It can be fixed but for some dough. He told me to leave alone.

But it noisly and I don't like it.

Any ideas about this?

:cries:

Ask the Lexus mechanic is the noise there when the engine is new? You will get a real answer right there.

I have made several recommendations on this forum about Auto-RX, a cleaner that slowly disolved and cleaned up any sludge. People don't even want to check it out because

1) anything other than Lexus' recommendation must be snake oil or gas pill.

2) If it is any good, Toyota would have thought of it first. Therefore, it does not work

3) I have used xxx oil for yyyK miles and never needs this to work. If the engine has zzz problem, I feel more comfortable to have Lexus to replace for 100x$, never mind technology improves and new solution may solve old problems.

I am recommendating to you because my 2000 RX300 has seen only Mobil 1 synthetic oil ever since its 3rd oil change, I used Auto-RX to stop a leak. When I cut open oil filter I used during treatment and found fine sandy hard sludge particles. Apparently minor sludges formed to block the seal conditioning additives from keeping seals soft and pliable. The leak now is slowed significantly, no dripping to a dime size on the garage floor no matter how long I parked.

Here are pictures I took. Not saying this will definitely make the noise goes away but a clean engine could be part of the solution. Also worth a try since Auto-RX has 100% $ back guarantee.

http://img145.imageshack.us/img145/342/sludgescrappedfv6.jpg

http://img20.imageshack.us/my.php?image=finesludgehe4.jpg

I'm with you there, TunedRX300. It sounds like Auto-RX is an engine solvent/detergent much like Rislone is, but perhaps stronger/more-effective. As long as one follows the amount added to oil, it'll do the job of taking out sludge and residue on a high mileage engine (or one with a excess sludge or engine deposits). Nice pics, BTW... gives everyone a bit of a feel for what is in their crankcase. Here's another thread (albeit in a Bronco forum) with some detailed pics: http://fullsizebronco.com/forum/showthread.php?t=73176