Lexus Dianostic Fee

Hi,

Lexus dealer charge me 100 USD/hr for the dianostic fee. I will have the result tomorrow. My question is if they charge us that much for the dianostic fee, do they sure that they have the right answers? What can we do if the problem still there after they fix the car? I often got my car fixed at a local mechanic so I don't have experience with this.

I have to see them tomorrow, your experience is very apreciate!

By the way, the problem with my car is "jerk when put the tranny in D with the cold engine." Post the problem here for a while, tried a couple things but did not help.

Thanks,

Hi,

Lexus dealer charge me 100 USD/hr for the dianostic fee. I will have the result tomorrow. My question is if they charge us that much for the dianostic fee, do they sure that they have the right answers? What can we do if the problem still there after they fix the car? I often got my car fixed at a local mechanic so I don't have experience with this.

I have to see them tomorrow, your experience is very apreciate!

By the way, the problem with my car is "jerk when put the tranny in D with the cold engine." Post the problem here for a while, tried a couple things but did not help.

Thanks,

That is what they charge to put it on the machine. If something different than the usual suspect for that code is the cause and you bring it elsewhere for the service, I don't think they would feel obligated to troubleshoot further for free. I know someone who's car set off the code that usually means a loose gascap. but the problem was a leaky tank. After buying 2 new caps, he then learned from me that he had a leak in the tank. Funny thing was that he knew that but did not realize that the same code would show up.

Maybe I was just lucky, but when my CEL (check engine light) came on last year, I took my ES to the local Toyota dealership and they diagnosed the code without charging me at all. Their technician even spent about 45 minutes under the hood trying to trace the problem which turned out to be a faulty knock sensor harness, but I was pretty surprised that they didn't want any money for his troubeshooting time. But I guess being the #1 auto maker in the world now, they can afford to be a little generous at times :D

So since then, that is where I always take my car for servicing. Being based on the Camry platform, the Toyota dealership techs are pretty knowledgable about most ES issues, at least when it involves the mechanical/engine parts.