Disappearing Gas

chilkoot

When I got this car I filled the tank. I immediately changed the oil and drove it 150 miles home. It's an abused family car, long overdue for lots of service so I didn't expect great mileage, however when I pulled into the parking lot I had nearly 3/4 of a tank left; not bad.

So, 2 weeks later I have my parts and am ready to drive it to the auto parts store and tear the hell out of it, I start the car for a second to listen and make sure i'm positive it'll even get to the parts store and my gas is at 1/8 tank. for the first 30 seconds or so the needle SLOWLY rose to 1/4 tank, and at that point I turned the engine off. When I turned the car on (electrical, no crank) about a week ago the gas was down to about 1/2. There's no gas smell around the car nor any fluids below the car, so it's not an external leak. I know for a fact that it was almost constantly run between 1/4 tank and E for the last 10-20k miles, but how could this affect the fuel gauge in such a weird way? I've got a new fuel filter in my box o' parts and have already resigned to replacing the cats.

I guess the only way to be sure is to fill the tank and see how many gallons it takes, but that's expensive and the car isn't even really functional yet.

22.5 gallon tank. Probably just a faulty gauge man. the 93-94 have a capacitor problem with gas gauge and the dash light in general. Yup, thats it, capacitors. I have the tutorial saved. If you can;t find it on here i can email with the picture showing where the faulty capacitors are.

good luck on the car man. Post pics when you got her purring.