Driving Through Water

During the last storm I found myself having to drive through water of varying depths. When I spotted it I went through slowly, but it was dark and a temporary roadway. All of the sudden I was going 40 and drove through fairly deep water. I had two hands on the steering wheel but could barely hold it straight. I was amazed to discover that the car traveled through perfectly straight and all was fine. Other cars were pulled off to the side. Anyone else having similar experience?

During the last storm I found myself having to drive through water of varying depths. When I spotted it I went through slowly, but it was dark and a temporary roadway. All of the sudden I was going 40 and drove through fairly deep water. I had two hands on the steering wheel but could barely hold it straight. I was amazed to discover that the car traveled through perfectly straight and all was fine. Other cars were pulled off to the side. Anyone else having similar experience?

Keep in mind that it doesn't take water very deep to "float your boat". If you car starts floating (surprise, surprise!) you'll be going downstream.....

All of the sudden I was going 40 and drove through fairly deep water. I had two hands on the steering wheel but could barely hold it straight. ........ Other cars were pulled off to the side.

Maybe they heard there was some ..... coming at 40 mph through the deep water on the temporary roadway, and they were getting out of the way. :chairshot: Seriously, drivers should never drive into any water that appears more than a few inches deep. You're asking for trouble, both as wwest described and potentially mechanically or even a crash.

The cars on the side of the road were disabled. They had already been through the flooded area. This was one of those times it was good to be in a higher car than a sports sedan.

Yes, but at your speed you were undoubtedly pushing a "bow wave" so a tall vehicle didn't matter much.

You were just plain lucky..!

Now don't do that again!

ive done that to varying degrees, sometimes on purpose, other times not. lol.

its the benefit of having an SUV. I love to see water fly out of the wheel wells, its so exhilerating. Of course, safety comes first. I always put my suspension setting on HIGH ;)