Differentail Previously Overfilled, Or Is This Another Problem

In preparation for changing the differential fluid on my 95 ES300, I undid the filler plug, and about 1/2 a quart of fluid came out. Does this simply mean it was overfilled whenever it was last filled (don't know when - not by me) or could this indicate I have another different problem? Fuild was warm not hot (I know this stuff expands). ??

seems like it would be hard to overfill, unless the car was jacked up and not sitting horizontal. I know you can put excess in but it should flow back out the hole. I just did mine for the second time today on the front and rear differentials on my RX300. I installed Royal Purple synthetic which apparently has the additives for limited slip already mixed. My RX has limited slip from the factory... A half quart seems quite substantial for expansion to me. Please note: if you jacked the car up and are not sitting level, the fluid would also flow out....

In preparation for changing the differential fluid on my 95 ES300, I undid the filler plug, and about 1/2 a quart of fluid came out. Does this simply mean it was overfilled whenever it was last filled (don't know when - not by me) or could this indicate I have another different problem? Fuild was warm not hot (I know this stuff expands). ??

Is there a rear differential for ES300? I don't recall. It's a front wheel drive vehicle and engine is placed in horizontal position.

If you fill the fluid with the car not being even, you can overfilled or underfilled.

How would there be a rear diff on a transaxle? The diff is integrated into the front of the transaxle.

You can overfill them with the car not level. Keep in mind if you jacked the car up or put it on ramps. it wasn't level. It's no big deal, if it was way over-filled it'd simply leak out the axle seals so no worry.