Engine Stalling

mc teg

I am having problems with my 91 Ls 400. When I replaced the Fuel injectors a couple weeks ago, the engine started up fine and was driving great on the highway. Now whenever I start it, it surges then dies. And whenever when I give it gas to 2000 rpm, it surges irradically. Does anybody have an idea what might be wrong with it? All help will be appreciated. thanks

I recommend checking your coils. It has two coils. I have a 91 and one of the coils was bad causing mine to surge and drive poorly. I was using an increased amount of gasoline as well. I had changed the fuel filter twice, cleaned the injectors and thought it was in the fuel system. Just a suggestion.

Robert

I recommend checking your coils. It has two coils. I have a 91 and one of the coils was bad causing mine to surge and drive poorly. I was using an increased amount of gasoline as well. I had changed the fuel filter twice, cleaned the injectors and thought it was in the fuel system. Just a suggestion.

Robert

I have same model. Can you tell me where each coil is located?

My car is now garaged. It will start and idle for a very short time, then it stalls. Sometimes I can force it to run for a minute ir so by using the gas pedal; then the engine dies!

the lexls.com timing belt tutorial in the engine maintenance section has pictures that point out the left and right coils.

as for the surging and dying, more info would help us diagnose it. how long did you drive it after replacing the injectors before you ran into problems? after replacing them did it behave normally for a time and this seems like a different problem, or just the highway drive home and after you got it to your garage and shut it down it wouldn't start? how was your mileage between repair and failure? how long as it been since you've replaced your plugs/wires/rotors/caps? any funny smells? fluid levels all normal?

you say it surges then stalls, what do you mean by surge? initially surging to 1.5~2k RPMS is normal, obviously. does it even try to idle and just fluctuates like hell until it goes low enough to shut down? how many times will it surge and recede before it dies (not including the initial 2k as it fires up), and how far? about how long does it run before stalling, and has it acted consistently since the problem surfaced?

any dash lights at all in the past month? as stated before, why were the injectors replaced, and who replaced them (you, mechanic, dealer?)

Why is it that it seems that everyone refers to lexls.com for reference? The tutorials were posted first, on here. Just curious as to why that site gets so much love from DIY'ers....

Did you replace the injector seals? It might be a vacuum leak at the injector seals.

because the information is sorted in such a way that all of the tutorials are one link away from each other and easily findable, and the creator gives credit where due. the LexLS tutorial I referenced states at the bottom of the page that it was originally posted at the LOC, and he goes on to say that if you have any questions you should not e-mail him directly but post it here for everyone to benefit from.

It's an archive of everything here that's generically useful. If someone new joins any forum and asks any common question they hear "omfg search". well, sometimes that's horribly inefficient.

I noticed today that hissing sound is coming from one of the injectors. the injector seems to be not seated properly, the seal does not have a tight seal. Could this injector possibly be making it surge and die? If it is the seal and I need disassembly the the fuel rails again, is there some site that will give me info on how to properly position and torque the fuel injectors and rails? I am sorry if I am bothering people with this problem, but I really want my Ls working by this month.

if you had a mechanic or dealer do it have them tow it and fix it, that sounds like the source of your problem, otherwise a chilton's or haynes manual might be your best bet, it doesn't sound like a very common question.

Yep it was the fuel injector. When I disassemblied the fuel rail today, I found that the part where you insert the injector into the combustion chamber was warped. So now I need to take the injector to a person who specializes in injectors.

Oh, thank you lscott400 for the diaphram on how to just diconnect the the fuel lines and reassembly them. That really helped me today.

Yep it was the fuel injector. When I disassemblied the fuel rail today, I found that the part where you insert the injector into the combustion chamber was warped. So now I need to take the injector to a person who specializes in injectors.

Oh, thank you lscott400 for the diaphram on how to just diconnect the the fuel lines and reassembly them. That really helped me today.

Glad it worked for you! Hope it turns out well.