Is250 Clock Lens Haze

I have noticed that the plastic lens that covers the interior clock as well as the passenger seatbelt/airbag icon has a dull hazy finish. I have rubbed it with my finger and is seems like it could be polished to a glossy shine. I believe that this lens is only used in IS250/IS350 with or without navigation however it is a detail type of questions so I have posted it here.

It is a smoked lens with a reddish (plum) tint when viewed in the right light. I have Novus plastic cleaners 1, 2 & 3. I plan to use Novus 1 to see if I can get it as glossy of the wood trim. I think the white printing on the exterior of the lens is tough enough so that it would rub off.

Has anyone polished this lens? Any tips or pointers?

Thanks,

I have the exact same problem; but it looks like the 'haze' is on the backside/inside of this plastic part.

Thus, although I have not tried to polish the piece yet, it looks like it would have to be removed and polished from both sides.....

..like you, waiting to hear if anyone else has thoughts or ideas.

Mike

I have the exact same problem; but it looks like the 'haze' is on the backside/inside of this plastic part.

Thus, although I have not tried to polish the piece yet, it looks like it would have to be removed and polished from both sides.....

..like you, waiting to hear if anyone else has thoughts or ideas.

Mike

Yeah,

I will give it a couple of days and then shoot my question over to the IS250/350 forum if we don't get any action here.

You have a good point about the haze possibly being on both sides. It might still look better if the outside has a glossy finish. It is in a low position within the vehcile so I wouldn't think it could cause any glare issue from other light sources.

Unfortunately I think this is just the nature of the plastic...

You are probably right. I will try to see if I can clean it up little. I don't want to open up a can of worms and have the end result look worse then if I had just left it alone. Hopfully I can work on it this weekend and report back my findings.

• 10 months later...
Unfortunately I think this is just the nature of the plastic...

You are probably right. I will try to see if I can clean it up little. I don't want to open up a can of worms and have the end result look worse then if I had just left it alone. Hopfully I can work on it this weekend and report back my findings.

Anybody have any luck cleaning up the clock haze? I have the same problem and want to fix the appearance. Looks like the surface can stratch easily and am tempted to try and polish it with something, but am not ready to potentially screw it up causing it to look worse!

Hahahaha, when I first got the car I thought there was that clear plastic protector thing on it that you peel off? I sat there for atleast 5 minutes trying to get the edge to come up so I could peel it off, only to realize that the plastic itself!!

Too bad there isn't a peel off!! Out of all of the great things Lexus has done to their cars, I'm really suprised somebody hasn't picked up the idea that having a "foggy" purple clock cover amongst the plush and glossy materials in the cockpit just doesn't jive!