Value Of Extended Warranty On 03 430?

new to lexus

I finally got a used Lexus last week! 03 Ls 430. 33,000 miles-- from individual. The warranty will run out in one month. Should I go to Lexus of Mobile and purchase an extended warranty? I will be on a tight budget with this car, but so far it is a dream and I love it! I would appreciate your advice or experiences. And if I should look to another place for this answer, please advise. I'm new to this forum business. Thanks.

Personally I wouldn't pay extra for an extended warranty. With only 33K, my guess is that it was serviced regularly, you should do the same.

I have a friend with a '02 LS430 with 220K ( he's a salesman and these are all highway miles) and has never had anything done except for regular maintanence.

With my '04, I have 54K and the only warranty issue I have ever had was the parking sensors on the front had to be replaced ($500) and this was the first time the dealer ever had to do this.

Take the extra money for the warranty and stick it in the bank, use it for your tranny flush, 3 step injector cleaner, etc. and I think you'll be using your money much more wisely.

Thanks for the opinion. I'll search for the tranny flush info... when...what... etc, on these boards. Sorry, I've not been into auto stuff before, (need to go to powder puff auto classes, I guess). Since the dealer is an hour's drive, does it matter who does the non-warranty stuff? These is a Toyota dealer here, don't know how good the service department is.

Thanks for the opinion. I'll search for the tranny flush info... when...what... etc, on these boards. Sorry, I've not been into auto stuff before, (need to go to powder puff auto classes, I guess). Since the dealer is an hour's drive, does it matter who does the non-warranty stuff? These is a Toyota dealer here, don't know how good the service department is.

I agree about not necessarily needing an extra warranty, but you also have to think, if one thing goes wrong on the car, chances are that money spent would pay for itself, also with only 33K on your car you definetly don't need a tranny flush, I've also heard some horror stories on here about guys who've done tranny flushes and they wish they hadn't. My car is old, but it only has about 55K on it, I have flushed or replaced every possible fluid on it, the only one I haven't flushed is the tranny... just regular changes. Good luck :cheers:

I've never taken my car to the dealer (it's also an hour away and we also have a Toyota dealer) My brother's golf partner opened a Valvoline Oil Change a few years back and this is where I've always gone for my Lexus and my wife's Avalon. His computer tells him what is recommended by Lexus when I take it in so that is what we do. The dealer wants $49.95 (the dealer where I bought it charges $129.95!!)for an oil change, he does it for $29.95 and still checks all of my fluid levels, belt, etc. My car is a lease but I've decided to buy it next year so I asked the dealer what the cost would be to catch me up with my services and he wanted $1900. Valvoline figured $300 would do it. Bobby, the owner, is 52 yrs old and has worked at Mercedes, BMW, Jag, GM as a mechanic all of his life and explained how the dealers will rip me off... I drop my car off in the morning, Lexus gives me a loaner, they change the oil and give it a visual inspection, wash it and park it outside. About an hour total. Then they call me mid afternoon and tell me the car is ready (I assume they have been working on it all this time) and I pick it up. I would have actually believed them!! I had him flush the tranny (he had to get the fluid at Toyota, it's thinner) and it took 3 gal. I paid $189 for the oil change and tranny flush. Next time I'll have the 3 step injection cleaner ($69.95). They pulled the wheels off and the brakes have 8-10K left. The slides still held grease so there wasn't anything to be done. All of this service at the dealer would have been $400-$500. You may also want to change out the cabin filter (every 15K) The dealer wants $90 to do it but if you Google "genuine Lexus parts" there are several places that sell them for $25. Empty your glovebox and remove the little divider stand (it simply is held in by tabs that fit in slots) shine a flashlight in the back and you will see a door with clips that open it. Right behind the door is a white plastic door and you will find the clip release on the bottom. Open it, the filter pulls out, remove it from the plastic frame and replace. This should take you about 5 minutes total.

One last thing, the dealer is the "only" one that can align your car. They have the gas tank filled and put weights on each corner so that it is aligned "fully loaded" (I rarely have 4 people in at the same time) The owner of the local alignment shop has been a friend for over 35 years and told me that he would have no problem giving my car an alignment. Dealer gets $300, he gets $70. We checked the wear on my tires and they measured different specs and my car did not need an alignment at this time. I would take it to Lexus if under warranty.

Sorry I rambled on and on but all of the above has just happened to me in the past month.

Talk to your friends and find a honest mechanic, they're out there, and you'll save quite a bit of cash.

I agree about not necessarily needing an extra warranty, but you also have to think, if one thing goes wrong on the car, chances are that money spent would pay for itself, also with only 33K on your car you definetly don't need a tranny flush, I've also heard some horror stories on here about guys who've done tranny flushes and they wish they hadn't. My car is old, but it only has about 55K on it, I have flushed or replaced every possible fluid on it, the only one I haven't flushed is the tranny... just regular changes. Good luck :cheers:

Lexus calls for the tranny flush at over 50K. I've flushed all of my Honda's, Toyota's and now my Lexus without any problems. (I wonder if the other people that had problems had standard fluid put in? )The tranny fluid in the Toyota's is thinner than other cars and it seems to turn black pretty quick but it will not smell burnt. My mechanic flushes his own fluid every 30K but I think 50K should be fine. He did tell me to never flush my oil because it would most likely lead to big problems.

they probably had problems because of the flush machine that was used. most flush machines "power" flush the tranny which is bad if the pressure isn't correct. the machine i have uses the vehicle's own pump to flush it so no damage can be done.