Rear Slider Pins

nc211

Can anyone tell me if the rear, bottom slider pin on the rear brakes is supposed to have a rubber bushing around the tip of it, where it is notched? The top pins don't have that notching, but the lower ones do.

My manual makes a statement "install slider pin with bushing on the bottom part of the assembly". What bushing??? I'm about to put the car in the shop "found a european shop that works on Lexus cars too" for a rear wiggling I'm getting. I'm thinking those ASUS rear carrier bushings have gone bad, BUT, I want to rule out the rear pads dragging on the rotors if I'm missing these "alleged" bushing caps?

Thanks fella's

nevermind...just found my answer...

http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums/index...;hl=slider+pins

NEW QUESTION: Would not having those little rubber bushings cause my pads to ride the rotor bad enough to create that "towing a boat" sensation? Or make my car shift around when applying the brakes, like the pads aren't being applied at an even pressure?

The fluid is new, flushed, bled, etc... No leaks anywhere either.

Can anyone tell me if the rear, bottom slider pin on the rear brakes is supposed to have a rubber bushing around the tip of it, where it is notched? The top pins don't have that notching, but the lower ones do.

My manual makes a statement "install slider pin with bushing on the bottom part of the assembly". What bushing??? I'm about to put the car in the shop "found a european shop that works on Lexus cars too" for a rear wiggling I'm getting. I'm thinking those ASUS rear carrier bushings have gone bad, BUT, I want to rule out the rear pads dragging on the rotors if I'm missing these "alleged" bushing caps?

Thanks fella's

nevermind...just found my answer...

http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums/index...;hl=slider+pins

NEW QUESTION: Would not having those little rubber bushings cause my pads to ride the rotor bad enough to create that "towing a boat" sensation? Or make my car shift around when applying the brakes, like the pads aren't being applied at an even pressure?

The fluid is new, flushed, bled, etc... No leaks anywhere either.

Rob:

NEW QUESTION:

Would not having those little rubber bushings cause my pads to ride the rotor bad enough to create that "towing a boat" sensation?

Personally, I doubt it very much. There would have to be a fair bit of hydraulic pressure on the piston before the pad would exert enough pressure on the rotor to cause braking action.

Or make my car shift around when applying the brakes, like the pads aren't being applied at an even pressure?

Hmmm, this sounds more like air in the individual brake lines more than anything else.......Unless of course, you've fastidiously bled them, which you probably have. If the car pulls consistently in one direction, that doesn't really imply that one pad of a wheel is making more contact or exerting more pressure than the pad in the other side of the same caliper. Pulling in one direction is usually because the hydraulic pressure in that caliper (direction of pull) is higher than that of the other caliper(s). The opposite is also true; If your car pulls to the right, the pressure in left (front caliper) could be low. It's all about equalization. That's one of the reasons that I like to rebuild the calipers. When the rebuild is done, I know what I'm dealing with, I know what to expect.

Remember how much force there was behind each piston when you removed them from the caliper using maybe 40 PSI of air? When the brakes are working properly, the (substantial) hydraulic pressure exerts force on the back of each piston, transferring that force to the face of the pad/rotor. The pressure on the back of each piston will equalize because the caliper will very quickly finds it's "mechanical center" by moving on the slider pins.

There's a real easy answer to your question(s). Drive it under the "towing a boat" condition for just a couple of minutes (if that). Pull over, get out and quickly touch the wheel of the brake in question. If you leave two or three layers of skin on the wheel, (and the skin sizzles like a fried egg) then your pad(s) are dragging. Would that be because the caliper isn't finding it's mechanical center? Could be, but you'll just have to pull the caliper off and inspect it to be sure.

Thanks for the input fella's!! :cheers:

Well I put on the bushings last night, and I can tell a bit of a difference this morning on my drive in, the rear end isn't wiggling as much, and I'm not getting that droaning noise as badly, but the noise is still there a little. I can tell you one thing though, the criss-cross pattern on the face of the new rotors makes a god-awful sound against the pads at parking lot speeds, sounds like a wheel bearing going bad. I'm thinking the pads will wear down that pattern a bit. Thread, I thought about your scenario too, and I'm not convinced that you're not right, I bled the hell out of the lines last month, but could of let a little air get pulled back into the ends. Although the brakes feel very responsive and the peddle is tight, the car will stop on a dime, but you might be right that a tiny bit of air is in my rear passenger side line. The car doesn't wiggle as much as it did when applying the brakes, but it does everso slightly, and it's definelty in the back. I think what was happening is the notched end of the bottom slider pin was catching inside it's sleeve ever so slightly when I would release the brake, and was causing the caliper to not reset back to it's center completely right. Now with the rubber bushing on them, I think they're going back to center. I drove to the coast last weekend, at about 85mph, with the windows down. When I would pass something to my left "wall, car, etc" anything that would reflect the sound back to me, I could swear I was hearing a hissing noise. When I got to my destination, I noticed the rear wheels had a bit of brake dust on them, and there was a feeling that one of the tires was off balance a little. I didn't touch the wheel because I just didn't think about it. But I did this morning, and it was cool, and no brake dust. I've hit some mother pot holes recently "thanks to urban sprawl developers tearing up the roads", and i think I might of damaged one of my tires. I've got a slight thumping noise from the back, which sounds exactly like a tire with a flat spot, or slipped belt.

So, long story short, I thought I might of found the excuse to trade up to the 01-02 430's, "no way I'm going through what Canada Craig did", but turned out it was a $10 repair. This damn car will out live me. The only car I've ever owned that I've said "I wish someone would hit me so I could get a newer one, simply to satisfy my own vanity".

I've got another question about rotors, but I'm going to start a new thread about it....