Should I Buy A Porsche 944?

W201 sweden

OK, G.A.S. time again! (Gear Acquisition Syndrome, that is...)

My girlfriend and I currently have three very nice cars, a very well kept SAAB 900 "classic" with very low miles (my car, but she drives sometimes), a still almost new Renault Clio (mostly her's) and of course the LS 400 (definately mine, she thinks it is a bit too big ;) ).

Everything was quite fine, until my co worker told me is selling his black -84 Porsche 944. To me, the 944 has always been one of my two childhood dreams. (The other one was the SAAB 99 turbo, which I drove for many years and many kilometers. :) ) The 944 is not spotless, but the general condition is good. I tested it but was not impressed by the very primitive feeling - heck the SAAB is a lot more rewarding to drive, seriously. But the 944 is a looker, that's for sure. B)

Still, I had no special feeling when I tested my LS 400, which in the longer run turned out to be a really good purchase. That car just grows on you in a very subtle way, i guess.

Should I buy the Porsche for the same reason? Will I get used to it, or will it still be just a primitive poser's car. :P

Buying the 944 means that my beloved SAAB has to find a new home, which feels sad. There is a certain obligation if you own a car in rare condition, I think. I'd hate to see it deteriorate...

And, by the way; I intend to use it a bit on the local race track, sometimes for commuting, and as a back-up for the Clio (currently our daily driver).

/Alexander from Sweden

Alex, I know this delima quite well. I too love the 944's and everytime I see one, I want one. Fastest car I've ever been in was a 944 Turbo with some kind of modified computer chip. Blew away vets, iroc's, cyclone and even ran neck and neck with a grand national. Unfreakin' believable..... and always broken due to the stress of running it so hard. If it were me, I would probably pass on that one, and maybe look for a newer one. They made some significant changes to them in the late 80's. Plus, you seem to be very connected to your SAAB, you've been raving about it since you came on here. Do you really want to let her go for a car that you already know has some problems and doesn't drive as nice?

Well, I guess I'm just really superficial, and really NEED that ego-boosting Porsche. ;)

The strangest thing is that I cannot really define why I should have it... :blink: I don't need it.

Perhaps I am just getting old, and realize that the SAAB is so good for winter driving and cargo, the Clio so practical and cheap to run, and the LS is so cushy and fast. Can the grown-up, common sense get so strong it kills the little voice that tells you to "have some fun" and "be a bit vain"? :o

Or I am just a boring person. :unsure:

/Alexander

Oh, and by the way. Porsche 944 cost as much in Sweden as a LS 400 that is about 4 to 5 years newer.

(-90 Porsche 944S is approx as expensive as -95 LS 400, if both in really good condition.)

• 4 weeks later...

So what did you decide?

The great thing for me is now that I have my LS I can indulge my masochistic love for Dodge Stealths. I don't know about 944's, 3000GT/Stealths are usually abused and suffer from lack of maintenance in general. It is SO much more enjoyable working on a car when I can do it at my leisure.

I know from a practical point of view I should just appreciate them from afar, but I have always wanted one. Being 43, I have that same little voice AND I'm a boring person. Having something like this gives me a great outlet for my compulsion to tinker and it allows me an avenue to have some fun. The cool thing is that the LS is what makes this all possible for me.

DSC00856.jpg

DSC00858.jpg

Thanks for the replies!

(Nice pics, by the way...)

I actually went back once more to check the 944 out, and to drive it once more. However, I was not feeling more inspired this second time.

I guess that car just is not for me - it's good looking, but other than that, well... It drives and handles ok, performance is ok, but I just think it's a bit dull.

The funny thing is, that I am now pretty sure I would love an SC, but they are of course extremely hard to find over here. :rolleyes:

/Alexander from Sweden