Rear Wagbar Paint Peeling

Like the header says, my paint is peeling from rear wagbar bracket, the one from the chassis to where the 4 bolts attach to the rear extension.

This was purchased and installed by Lexus. First on my 330 and then moved to my 400H. The wag bar is 2 1/2 years old.

Yes Lexus did move it. I have never had the car near water.

I scraped the rusty paint off today and sprayed 4 coats of high temp engine paint on the brackets.

Both sides were about the same.

That is some SERIOUS rust. Did Lexus move it to the new vehicle?

Do you dip that bad boy into the ocean, like to drop off a boat or jetskis?

Generally when that happens, it means the base material was not properly prepared OR primer was not applied before painting. ALWAYs use a primer before painting steel or aluminum.

Dave

Too late now, but there are rust-specific paints you should use in situations like this. Rust is already present, and will continue to "grow" and simply bubble, pit and peel the new paint eventually.

Rustoleum used to make a product called Rusty Metal Primer that was amazing. You brushed it on directly over the rust and it chemically bonded to same. I used it on the very rusty steel frame of my shed over 10 years ago, then painted over it with a white top coat. It's still perfect today.

Tom