Brake Opinions

Lexusfreak

My wife needs some front brake work done (of course all these expenses happen shortly before the baby is due to arrive! :whistles: ). I've done alot of research on this & I can get a set of Brembo 'OE' style (plain, non slotted) rotors for like $70 a piece here in the city and was going to go with Wagner Thermo Quiet pads (the dealers prices for OE rotors & 'second tier' pads were astronomical btw :rolleyes: ) & Kleen-Flo high performance synthetic DOT 3 brake fluid.

Any opinions? I've heard nothing but excellent things about the rotors & pads mentioned above. B)

:cheers:

I've used the Wagner ThermoQuiet on my Infiniti I30 and my Solara. In both cases I noticed a considerable reduction in dust, and about 10k later no noise or unwanted vibrations. They felt the same as OE brakes in the solara but in the Infiniti I feel like they are not "grabby" enough. It took some getting used to. I bled the brakes in both, the solara peddle was squishy, and the infiniti fluid was old. I also went through generic break in procedure just out of habit. I have mixed feelings about these pads and have opted to go OE on my GS. I paid about $65 per vehicle to cover both front and rear pads (wholesale price). I purchased my OE pads from irontoad.com The solara and gs have OE rotors, the I30 has brembo rotors although I'm not 100% certain if all 4 rotors are brembo, but the front definitely are. I think the I30 had OEM pads on it before the change as well, but once again I'm not certain. As far as aftermarket pads go, they are the best I've delt with as I usually go OEM or pinch pennies when I can't. The only other aftermarket pads I've had dealings with are Bendix IQ's on my mazda (acceptable) or really cheap raybestos which wore quickly.

Thanks djs.

I'm also considering Hawk HPS pads....anyone have experience with them? :unsure:

:cheers:

YIKES!!! Stay away...

Hawk is junk. go with the thermoquiet. they wear faster but have lest dust. wagner is a decent aftermarket brand, especially their OE replacements. Also, bendix is a really good brand as well.

And everyone here is gonna think im crazy, but dollar for dollar on OE replacements, Autozone's Duralast brand is VERY acceptable. about $24.99 for the front with a liftime gauruntee.