Ls400 Vs. Gs300

plainsurfer

Hey everyone,

Given that this forum is full of experienced Lexus drivers, I was hoping you could collectively give me some guidance with regard to a car purchase. I am interested in a lexus due to countless positive reviews on their durability. Here's what I may have access to:

1992 Lexus LS400

4000cc V8 engine

Automatic

dark green metallic

64,000 km's (30,000 miles?)

Service records exist

Power steering

Power windows

Air conditioner

ABS brakes

Traction control

Drivers air-bag

Keyless entry

Factory CD changer

18" alloy wheels

Adjustable suspension

COST: 8,000.00 US

1992 Lexus GS300

Automatic

Black

100,000 km's (approx. 65,000 miles?)

Power steering

Power windows

Air conditioner

ABS brakes

Traction control

Drivers air-bag

Sunroof

18" alloy wheels

Lowered suspension

Leather interior

COST: 8500.00 US

Would you suggest the GS300 or LS400 in this case?? I am liking the fact that the LS400 has service records and very low miles, but am hesitant about buying a model with air suspension, as I've heard this repair can break the bank. The GS300 is also nice and appears in great condition with only a little wear on drivers' seat leather. I realize they are two totally different styles, but I'm partial to both, yet I don't have enough experience with Lexus to make an informed decision. What would you suggest?? Any advice would be appreciated. THANKS.

I really don't know much about either vehicle, but I just recently picked up a LS 430 and I found the search function on these forums to be really quite useful. There are quite a number of LS 400 owners on this forum and I'm sure that you could probably figure out all the different likely problem with this car by reading through old posts.

As for the air suspension, I recall reading that it tends to go at around the 150K mile mark and that there is a (relatively) cheap fix ($1k vs. $3k).

Good luck with whichever car you choose!

The air suspension would scare me away from that particular LS. You have to take into consideration the age of the vehicle, and where it's lived v. the mileage at this point. The thing with suspension is that just sitting, they still have to support the car, and being in a pretty harsh winter environment I'm betting has had a negative effect on the rubber of the air suspension bags and seals. Even if it was in a garage the whole time, still, the cold makes rubber hard, which translates into brittle. The thing with the older LS's is that mileage isn't really as much of an issue as age is. You can find a well maintained 150k mile LS400 that would be light years ahead of one that never really reached the point of needing replacement parts, but is older than the 150k LS. My point is, don't be fooled by the odometer, don't discount it either, but don't be fooled. Age is is age, and on air suspension, age really matters. I'm not a big fan of the 1st generation GS's either, but that is purely cosmetic, not mechanical. You could easily pick up a generation 2 LS "95-97" for $8,000 that had been maintained to perfection, but would probably have 100k miles. But, you wouldn't know the difference by the way it drives and rides, if maintained.

I don't know where you are, but both cars seem a little pricey for what I have seen around here.

NC has a very valid point about the suspension on the LS. Both cars are low mileage, how do the interiors look? Have they been maintained?

If you had the $ to repair the suspension if it were to go out then I'd go w/ the LS. Anything lowered sends up a flag for me.

I wll go for neither, they seem like omen of problems ahead. The LS with the air suspension, the GS with the lower one. I would try to get other cars that are either less altered or have less problems like the air suspension of the LS. If you are confortable with both of them, I would look the interior of the GS if it is well maintained, that L6 engine should never give much of a problem.

CPR

Hey everyone,

Given that this forum is full of experienced Lexus drivers, I was hoping you could collectively give me some guidance with regard to a car purchase. I am interested in a lexus due to countless positive reviews on their durability. Here's what I may have access to:

1992 Lexus LS400

4000cc V8 engine

Automatic

dark green metallic

64,000 km's (30,000 miles?)

Service records exist

Power steering

Power windows

Air conditioner

ABS brakes

Traction control

Drivers air-bag

Keyless entry

Factory CD changer

18" alloy wheels

Adjustable suspension

COST: 8,000.00 US

1992 Lexus GS300

Automatic

Black

100,000 km's (approx. 65,000 miles?)

Power steering

Power windows

Air conditioner

ABS brakes

Traction control

Drivers air-bag

Sunroof

18" alloy wheels

Lowered suspension

Leather interior

COST: 8500.00 US

Would you suggest the GS300 or LS400 in this case?? I am liking the fact that the LS400 has service records and very low miles, but am hesitant about buying a model with air suspension, as I've heard this repair can break the bank. The GS300 is also nice and appears in great condition with only a little wear on drivers' seat leather. I realize they are two totally different styles, but I'm partial to both, yet I don't have enough experience with Lexus to make an informed decision. What would you suggest?? Any advice would be appreciated. THANKS.

I own both...

LS baby.. It is an amazing car. After two years I have to say my 93 is the best car I have ever drove. I say this after driving about 40 rentals, jags, cadi's, SUV's and alot more.

With 30k miles I would get it. You may be able to talk the owner down. Tell them that the air shocks go or probably are gone. If they are selling now the car probably has dash light issues. Another thing is the CD player is probably shot. They skip and the Kawakichachi system has channell failure. Only shows up when its cold and can be fixed for 10 bucks and 2 hours of work. Also the car is 16 years old and KBB might have a lower price.

That is an old GS. The LS is the cream of the crop. This week I rented a fun little SUV. When I got home I was so excited to drive my LS. The car is absolutly amazing. The ride is as quiet and smooth as any new car. Power is also there and the look is priceless. It is so funny to hear the wife talk about her co-employees saw my car and are in love with it. Its a 93 car with KBB value about 6k, but it looks like 50k.