Bicycle Racks?

I need to add some sort of bicycle-hauling capability to my 2006 RX400h. The options are basically the Lexus-branded solution that goes on the roof racks (seems to be two different parts you need to buy, the bike rack and the "bicycle rack adapter" or something like that) or a third-party solution that attaches to the trailer hitch.

I'm wondering what people have found to be the best solution. My first cut at the pros and cons:

Lexus Roof Rack:

PROS: Cheaper, don't have to buy hitch hardware

Somewhat less obtrustive

CONS: Harder to load bikes (gotta lift them way up on top of the vehicle)

More drag/noise/wind resistance

Can't pull into garage with bike(s) on top

Third party (Yakima?) hitch mount:

PROS: Convenient bike loading

Minimal extra drag/noise

Can park in garage with bikes attached

CONS: Expensive ($300+ for hitch alone, plus cost of bike rack)

Kinda ugly hanging off the back

Somewhat inconvenient for back hatch access (though most swing down or away)

Other comments? I'm leaning toward the third-party hitch mount option, but I'm interested in what others have done and how satisfied they've been.

I have the Yakima KingPin 2 on mine. When I leave the bike support forks up, I can still open the back hatch without having to drop the verticle post down. The door will clear by about 1/4". You can also leave you bike on when you open the door, which is nice when preparing for a ride, but you will probably need to rotate the handle bar to keep from getting a dimple in the door. (I have a dime sized dimple in my door now...)

I recently had the 2-inch hitch installed and am planning to order the 4-bike rack that Northern Tool sells for $119. The local Sports store sells them for $200. Since I need to mount four bikes at a time, my options are somewhat limited.

Dave

I have the Yakima KingPin 2 on mine. When I leave the bike support forks up, I can still open the back hatch without having to drop the verticle post down. The door will clear by about 1/4". You can also leave you bike on when you open the door, which is nice when preparing for a ride, but you will probably need to rotate the handle bar to keep from getting a dimple in the door. (I have a dime sized dimple in my door now...)

The Yakima Kingpin 2 (or maybe 4) is what I have been leaning toward. It looks well designed and made.

I've never seen anyone use the roof-mount on a 400h or RX330, and I'm wondering if everyone decides the same thing... that it's just too hard to get the bikes on and off. I think I'd end up damaging the paint on the roof or doors... but I'll wait a few days for more responses, maybe somebody has done it and it's not as bad as I fear.

Definitely like the hitch mounted rack best. You will probably need to get a different ball mount than what comes with the factory hitch because it will likely be too short. I was able to get one that put my rack (2 bike) far enough back and up so that I don't sacrfice ground clearance (departure angle) and I can still open the hatch with the rack on the car (although I now disable the automatic feature :cries: )

Plus this leaves the roof open for adding a cargo box for those really gear intensive outings.

My Rack is a Thule with a hinge feature at the mount which helps with the hatch opening.

It is attached with a locking, sinching type pin that takes out the rattles and makes the rack solid to the car.

The cargo box is a Yakima Cadet which fits almost perfectly on the roof rack (I made some minor modifications in the mounting scheme to get a more secure fit and easier don/dof.

Both solutions have disadvantages. I have Yakima towers that attach to the factory roof rails; Yakima cross-bars and bike trays. If you have a garage, as you noted, you're at risk of forgetting about the bikes on top, with potential damage to the bikes, the rack, the car and the garage. On the other hand, bikes mounted on the back get dirty, add to vehicle length, restrict hatch access and are exposed to damage from other vehicles. One more note on roof racks: The RX is tall enough that roof-mounted racks are not so easy to reach, especially with a heavy bike. One more note on hitch-mounted racks: while the hitch solution is more expensive in the aggregate, it's a lot easier to install, use and uninstall the hitch-mounted rack than a roof rack.

• 1 year later...
I recently had the 2-inch hitch installed and am planning to order the 4-bike rack that Northern Tool sells for $119. The local Sports store sells them for $200. Since I need to mount four bikes at a time, my options are somewhat limited.

Dave

Dave, Looking for a hitch, can you tell me where you got it? Thanks Victor

I have the factory Lexus Hitch. Hence, I waited for the weekly specials in my area (especially now, that August is approaching) and picked up a sale on a 4 bike holder. I purchased last year, it`s a name brand hitch (forget the name, I think it is a BIC) and it fits on the rear factory trailer hitch without a "hitch" (pardon the pun). You cannot open the rear trailer with the bikes in place, yet this is in my opinion the prefered location if looking for a bike rack for a SUV. For a vehicle or station wagon, I like the bikes on the roof (roof rack), but on larger vehicles, i.e. SUV it is a real pita to load or take down bikes (especially mountain bikes) from the top of a SUV.

Good Luck with your choices...

Cheers,

MadloR

Dave

Dave, Looking for a hitch, can you tell me where you got it? Thanks Victor

I purchased and had my hitch installed at the dealership and then bought an Allen rack here:

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_gw?url=s...ords=bike+hitch

I am VERY impressed by this bike rack. I bought the 4-bike version and it is very well designed and fabricated.

dave