Noise At Start

So, I've had my 2006 is350 since july and haven't had any super major issues, but this new noise just started showing up about a week ago. So far it has happened twice, once when the engine was cold, sat in my garage at about 70degrees overnight. Other time it sat for about 1.5hrs after a 5min drive, so it wasn't completely cold. The noise sounds like metal against metal. I called my father, he is my car guru, i'll admit I know nothing about these things, and he just said something about lifters or crank or something, but said it should be fine. But it worries me. He was also like its under warranty don't worry about it.

I dunno though I had a "beater" for 10yrs and never heard such noise ever when starting it, cept once when i broke a spark plug off and part of the ceramic fell in the engine. Anyways it a loud metal on metal noise that lasts maybe 1-3 seconds. It has happened twice out of the last 20 times or so starting my car. But it has never happened before. I only have 8200 miles on the thing. Has anybody else had this issue? Should i take it into the dealer? Should i just wait and bring it up at my 10k service? Oh yeah and I checked the oil, its full.

The description "sounds" like a lifter, but it seems unlikely. I had an older Acura Legend that did the same thing, but it had maybe 120K on it, NOT 8K.

HELL YEA take it in...don't wait until its worse. At the very least call the service department and describe it to them, then go from there.

Good luck!

Well the sound has changed a little now it seems to make the normal starter noise then follow shortly after by a second of the engine sounding like its choking. I guess I'm just hopeful that its simply an electrical issue with the engine misfiring because of bad plugs/wiring/ignition. Either way scheduled it for service on friday, hopefully they can figure it out.

What lexus service had to say:

"This is typical noise from the car. Then clanging you are hearing is because you have a high pressure fuel pump and fuel is reaching the engine before the oil." Or something like that. Which kind of has me worried. I talked to a bmw fanatic who always works on his own car and he told me to say screw the lexus oil changes and just throw mobile synthetic in there and it should be fine. Mentioned something about my viscosity breaking down over the 3500 miles since my last oil change and that I should use better oil and do it myself. Anybody know if you have to have the dealership do the oil changes at 10k to maintain your warranty? Also I know this car has some crazy kind of filter are there any step by steps out there on how to change the oil on the 2006 is350? I have changed my oil on my old mazda many times, but rarely even pop the hood on this car, it looks way too clean in there :).

How often are you chaning the oil? As long as you use an approved oil, and keep the receipts, then your warranty is ok. I get the filters from Irontoad online. It's a cartridge filter that goes into a canister that's attatched to the lower front part of the engine. If you take a light and look straight down behind the radiator at the front of the motor, you'll see a silver canister. That's the oil filter.

Here are some LOC threads related to the noise, and to oil filter etc that can be found using the search feature.

http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums/index...lite=oil+filter

So, I've had my 2006 is350 since july and haven't had any super major issues, but this new noise just started showing up about a week ago. So far it has happened twice, once when the engine was cold, sat in my garage at about 70degrees overnight. Other time it sat for about 1.5hrs after a 5min drive, so it wasn't completely cold. The noise sounds like metal against metal. I called my father, he is my car guru, i'll admit I know nothing about these things, and he just said something about lifters or crank or something, but said it should be fine. But it worries me. He was also like its under warranty don't worry about it.

I dunno though I had a "beater" for 10yrs and never heard such noise ever when starting it, cept once when i broke a spark plug off and part of the ceramic fell in the engine. Anyways it a loud metal on metal noise that lasts maybe 1-3 seconds. It has happened twice out of the last 20 times or so starting my car. But it has never happened before. I only have 8200 miles on the thing. Has anybody else had this issue? Should i take it into the dealer? Should i just wait and bring it up at my 10k service? Oh yeah and I checked the oil, its full.

At about 5,000 miles, my IS 350 started to develop a "rattle" on cold starts. I would decribe it as piston rattle where the skirt of the piston slaps against the cylinder wall. It hasn't happened often and never when warmed up or warm outside. (above 50F) I recently heard on a radio show a desciption of something similar with Subaru's and that piston rattle was fairly common with that brand. Oil viscosity was suggested as a remedy. I am thinking of switching to synthetic. Have not discussed with my dealer yet. Don't know how serious this might be but it sure sounds bad and embarasing for a $48m car.

• 2 months later...

I have the same problem you have with the "rattling" or "grinding noise" at start. On March 8, 07 I took my car to Lexus dealer, they checked and they replaced the driver's side sprokets. Then the noise goes away. The car runs great for about a month. And now the noise is back again. It really frustates me. I called the Lexus dealer again for the problem. They have scheduled for my next service on May 31. One of their technicians told me that the Lexus engineer did know about this problem. They are working on it and hopefully they will soon redesign the new cam sprokets. If you know any information about this problem, please let me know, I'll appreacite. And after I have the service done with my car this time, I will let u know too. Hopefull they will solve this problem for us.

• 3 months later...
I have the same problem you have with the "rattling" or "grinding noise" at start. On March 8, 07 I took my car to Lexus dealer, they checked and they replaced the driver's side sprokets. Then the noise goes away. The car runs great for about a month. And now the noise is back again. It really frustates me. I called the Lexus dealer again for the problem. They have scheduled for my next service on May 31. One of their technicians told me that the Lexus engineer did know about this problem. They are working on it and hopefully they will soon redesign the new cam sprokets. If you know any information about this problem, please let me know, I'll appreacite. And after I have the service done with my car this time, I will let u know too. Hopefull they will solve this problem for us.

Take a look at the topic "Is350 Engine Noise At Time Of Ignition". I posted a response to this after my dealer acknowledged a TSB on this problem. It was mentioned it had something to do with the cams as you noted. When I learn which TSB, I will update.