Normal Starting Procedure - Wait For 10 Seconds?

Looking in the manual of my 1993 LS400, step 2 of the normal starting procedure says "after the engine runs for about 10 seconds you're ready to drive".

In 20 years of driving this is the first time I've heard about this "wait".

Why not drive off as soon as you've started the engine? What difference does the wait make?

Thanks!

Looking in the manual of my 1993 LS400, step 2 of the normal starting procedure says "after the engine runs for about 10 seconds you're ready to drive".

In 20 years of driving this is the first time I've heard about this "wait".

Why not drive off as soon as you've started the engine? What difference does the wait make?

Thanks!

This allows the engine oil to be circulated thoroughly throughout the entire lubrication system prior to placing any mechanical load on the engine. If a vehicle sits for an extended period of time, all of the oil drains down into the pan and the valve train goes dry. Obviously, it's important that everything have a coating of lubrication on it before driving.

This allows the engine oil to be circulated thoroughly throughout the entire lubrication system prior to placing any mechanical load on the engine. If a vehicle sits for an extended period of time, all of the oil drains down into the pan and the valve train goes dry. Obviously, it's important that everything have a coating of lubrication on it before driving.

Thanks for your replies (both of you). How would you define "an extended period of time"?

Thanks for your replies (both of you). How would you define "an extended period of time"?

Hmmmm............

That's a matter of opinion.......

A guess, but in warm weather, as little as 8 to 24 hours (?)...............

If life were perfect, we'd all have intermittent auxiliary oil pumps that we'd run for 30 seconds before we ever started our vehicles' engines. But the cost to benefit ratio really doesn't justify it..........

I think that large engines (diesel electrics in ships, locomotives, power generation, etc.) do have these.