Ls-430 Sport Suspension ?

W6RU

I just traded my LS-400 for a 2001 LS-430 today. Can someone tell me how to identify if this 430 has the "Euro-tuned Sport Suspension" ? From the way it rides I am going to bet money it does. Also, what would be involved in going to standard suspension ?

Thanks All !

There is a badge on the front fenders that designates this option. (Unless someone has removed them - only put on with adhesive like regular Lexus badging) You would not miss it. Since you are asking either you do not have it or someone has removed the badges. I drove one and it makes it feel like you are driving a BMW. I did not like it.

Any Lexus dealer can look it up for you and let you know if your car has it.

Tom

Good info Tom ... did not see any badges ... will ask my dealer when I go back in. I will also mention that I checked the tire pressure and found 37.5 pounds in them ... but they were hot. Will check them again in the morning and see where they are ... that might be making it a little rough.

Will try to get a picture of this car posted soon ... my first ever black car ! After seeing nice photos of some black LS cars here I went for one.

Thanks,

Terry

Hey Terry, congratulations pal!

Does the car have the 17 inch wheels? You may be noticing the difference between the 17 inch wheels compared to the 16 inchers on your LS400. If it doesn't have the 17 inch wheels, then there's no way it has the Euro suspension by the way.

Also, 37.5 pounds WILL make a difference. I run them at 29 for maximum ride. Lexus states 29-30 as the reccomended PSI. Lexus dealers ALWAYS over inflate the tires, all dealerships and mechanics do. Whenever I get mine back from service they're always like 40, makes me feel like I'm driving a truck home...

Steve - I am really jazzed about the car. When I test drove it I noticed the rough ride and I complained to my buddy at the dealership and I blaimed it on the 17 inch wheels and Bridgestone tires. He went out of his way to do a wheel swap and put my almost new Michelins (16's) from my trade-in on the new car.

After I measured the 37.5 pounds in the tires a dropped 2 pounds out of each tire and test drove the car ... just that made a noticeable difference. I will wait till morning and check them cold and see where they are ... I hope I don't have the sport suspension ... the 17 inch wheels that were on it scares me though.

Thanks,

Terry

Oh no, the 16s will bolt right onto the hubs, even with the sport suspension. The Sport suspension option just includes the 17 inch wheels. If it doesnt have the badges then I wouldn't worry. The sport suspension option is quite rare, much more likely that you'd have the basic suspension then the euro.

If you drop the tires down to 30 It'll ride just like your LS400 did. Michelins are really hard tires, the rubber is pretty hard so the air pressure will make a really big difference when compared to something like a dunlop where the rubber is pretty soft. Thats partially why Michelin's last so long compared to Dunlops, harder rubber.

Steve - Glad to report my LS-430 does NOT have the sport suspension ... dealer looked up history and it just had the "TU" option ... (17" tire upgrade). Have lowered tires to 30 pounds cold and has made a lot of improvement ... looking to try 28 to 29 pounds.

Thanks,

Terry