Paint

I am in the market to buy a new car. The Lexus IS or GS models were at the top of my list to buy. After some investigation I found complaints about paint quality on these models. Soft paint, easy for bird droppings to make permanent marks and easy to scratch.

I have owned 3 Toyotas and had-have paint problems with all of them. My understanding was Lexus had better paint than Toyotas, Camry, Avalon. Must I have to buy an LS series to get good paint or does the LS also have bad paint?

My ES is 4 years old, paint has been well taken care of and it looks great. My dad had a 98 LS for 6 years and 160k, paint was less well taken care of and looked fine. He has an 04 LS now, paint looks fine.

It does chip easily on the front, but I think thats more a function of the low VOC paints carmakers have to use now. if that concerns you, get a clear bra.

• 1 month later...

i dunno if its my specific paint (quartz shadow metallic) or all lexus paints, but mine gets damaged VERY easily. one example, the car was dirty, and i threw a sweater onto the hood, then removed the sweater by grabbing by the corner and pulling off. it left dozens of scratches in the paint. now i understand the car was dirty blah blah blah....but cmooooon. that easy? boooooo.

• 2 months later...