2007 Gs: Navigation "don't Touch Me While Driving" Locko

I know this has a smattering of posts about this, buried in other threads, but just wanted to create a thread specific to this issue.

I just picked up my 2007 GS450h. I was told by the dealer, and have read elsewhere, that the Navigation and Bluetooth motion lock--out bypass and worked for the 2006s (by getting into the service menu via the touchscreen) no longer works for the 2007s.

Just curious if anyone cares to speculate as to the likelihood of someone coming up with a new bypass, or if the system has been sufficiently locked down that there is no hope of this.

LOVE the car, but the lawyer-designed infotainment system does have it's annoyances. (I got rid of a BMW with iDrive -- at least that car let me program the Nav and dial the phone while in motion....)

• 2 weeks later...

• 2 weeks later...

never say never, Car and Driver resorted to using a product from http://www.coastaletech.com/ on their long term test RX400h AWD... chances are if there is money to be made from it someone will find a way around the blocks. In due time of course probably by the second quarter 08 so don't hold your breath.

The more I drive my car, the more I like it, but the more I HATE the motion-lockout on the touch screen.

Not being able to enter Navigation destinations is one thing, but the inconsistent application of the lockouts elsewhere in the audio system is so annoying! I can view detail information on a satellite radio station, but I can't view detail info* on mp3 songs while the car is in motion -- this is insane!

* By this I mean if I have an mp3 disc in the CD player (or in my case an iPod adapter), the title/album/artist information will only show up when I'm stopped.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
Just thought I'd "tickle" this thread....hoping against hope that there will be a fix for this.... It's the only thing that bugs the sh*t out of me about my GS...
I DID IT ON MY GS350 '07 LEVINSON/NAV... It took bravery and brass balls to start cutting wires on a $52,000 Lexus with 900 miles on it, but I was able to pull it off using directions that I bought from EBAY for $29.00. It walked me through the process, step by step, with pictures of how to remove the unit and of how to modify my 07 GS350 so I can use:

1. My Nav features while driving.

2. Play DVD's while in motion and without parking brake engaged.

3. Use all bluetooth functionality on the fly.

4. My vaistech ipod integration box folders and files that also used to "gray out" when I started rolling. That sucked.

Here's the guy:

Email: Who sold me the directions? HE IS EBAY Member: cappetta72. You can contact him through his auctions on ebay for more info.

THE ONE THING YOU NEED TO KNOW FIRST: READ THE FIRST PARAGRAPH OR TWO OF THE INSTRUCTIONS CAREFULLY! The instructions show pictures of there being a "pink wire" on the right side wiring harness (which was on the 06 and earlier). This has been replaced on the 07 with a white wire with grey dots in center harness for the 07 GS350. Otherwise the wire re-routes are all the same. (about 4 steps with 4 wires.) I put a switch between the white wire and the one you are directed to splice it to so I can turn the nav functionality off and on. If you turn it off you can use all of the functions that used to get grayed out when you move. There is a wire that sends a signal to the nav unit called a VSS (vehicle speed sensor) wire. It tells the nav you are in motion so it can smoothly move the icon down the street as it reads the sat in the sky periodically. They work together. If you disconnect it you end up with a jerky icon moving down the street, although you then have full access to your nav unit. If you turn it off only to program it, then turn it back on using a switch, you have the best of both worlds. A switch from radioshack is 3.99 and worth it to make your nav and your nav access perfect.

The other wires you just cut and tape off and one other wire you ground to the frame of the stereo, which is the DVD parking brake interlock. Piece of cake. Get the diagrams and directions, the pictures are worth 1,000 words.

Once you get the console out and the side molding pieces, there are 4 bolts on each side of the nav/head unit that allow it to be pulled right out. I recommend putting saran wrap over all of your wood to make sure you don't end up with an unfortunate situation with scratches.

My disclaimer: It worked for me but I can't guarantee that it will work for you. I did it based on a calculated risk and ended up with a happy ending to my story that could have been a disaster I suppose. But it's so easy a monkey could do it. Really. I was so proud of myself when it all worked perfectly. Good luck!

OH... the part at the end of his instructions where he shows a temporary way to turn off the nav limitations by hitting some buttons does not work on the 07 models. It does work on my wife's 05 GX470 though.

Mike

It will never happen. Lexus had made sure of this as they did both a hadware and software lockout. They don't believe that it is safe for the drivers of the world to touch the screen while driving. Sorry!

Does no one travel with a passenger who could very usefully put in a destination while the driver is driving? <_< I hate the arrogant thinking expressed in lockouts.

Just thought I'd "tickle" this thread....hoping against hope that there will be a fix for this.... It's the only thing that bugs the sh*t out of me about my GS...
I DID IT ON MY GS350 '07 LEVINSON/NAV... It took bravery and brass balls to start cutting wires on a $52,000 Lexus with 900 miles on it, but I was able to pull it off using directions that I bought from EBAY for $29.00. It walked me through the process, step by step, with pictures of how to remove the unit and of how to modify my 07 GS350 so I can use:

1. My Nav features while driving.

2. Play DVD's while in motion and without parking brake engaged.

3. Use all bluetooth functionality on the fly.

4. My vaistech ipod integration box folders and files that also used to "gray out" when I started rolling. That sucked.

Here's the guy:

Email: Who sold me the directions? HE IS EBAY Member: cappetta72. You can contact him through his auctions on ebay for more info.

THE ONE THING YOU NEED TO KNOW FIRST: READ THE FIRST PARAGRAPH OR TWO OF THE INSTRUCTIONS CAREFULLY! The instructions show pictures of there being a "pink wire" on the right side wiring harness (which was on the 06 and earlier). This has been replaced on the 07 with a white wire with grey dots in center harness for the 07 GS350. Otherwise the wire re-routes are all the same. (about 4 steps with 4 wires.) I put a switch between the white wire and the one you are directed to splice it to so I can turn the nav functionality off and on. If you turn it off you can use all of the functions that used to get grayed out when you move. There is a wire that sends a signal to the nav unit called a VSS (vehicle speed sensor) wire. It tells the nav you are in motion so it can smoothly move the icon down the street as it reads the sat in the sky periodically. They work together. If you disconnect it you end up with a jerky icon moving down the street, although you then have full access to your nav unit. If you turn it off only to program it, then turn it back on using a switch, you have the best of both worlds. A switch from radioshack is 3.99 and worth it to make your nav and your nav access perfect.

The other wires you just cut and tape off and one other wire you ground to the frame of the stereo, which is the DVD parking brake interlock. Piece of cake. Get the diagrams and directions, the pictures are worth 1,000 words.

Once you get the console out and the side molding pieces, there are 4 bolts on each side of the nav/head unit that allow it to be pulled right out. I recommend putting saran wrap over all of your wood to make sure you don't end up with an unfortunate situation with scratches.

My disclaimer: It worked for me but I can't guarantee that it will work for you. I did it based on a calculated risk and ended up with a happy ending to my story that could have been a disaster I suppose. But it's so easy a monkey could do it. Really. I was so proud of myself when it all worked perfectly. Good luck!

OH... the part at the end of his instructions where he shows a temporary way to turn off the nav limitations by hitting some buttons does not work on the 07 models. It does work on my wife's 05 GX470 though.

Mike

• 1 year later...
www.clublexus.com has the entire procedure for FREE for unlocking the GPS and Blue Tooth. There are some cool people over there who are willing to share info for free.

I have looked all over that site without luck. Can you post a link to that information?

Thanks.