Rx300 A/c Button Light Blinking When Defroster's On

LexKid630

This afternoon while driving with the temp set to 73 with the front defroster on, the A/C green light above the botton began to blink. What's that mean?

I had "outside" air not inside circulation, and i'm not sure if the A/C button was on. I just looked down and noticed the defroster's yellow light on, as i had turned it on minutes earlier, and the A/C green light blinking. I pressed the A/C button and it went off. Pressed it again and the light was just on. Works fine now...

Anyone have any clue? thanks

2003 rx300 w/ navi

What does belt slippage mean? Is there something wrong? :(

Thanks

I believe this happens when the A/C is activated and as WWest said the belt that drives the A/C compressor is "slipping" past the drivewheel of the A/C compressor. I've had this happen on one or two occasions in very wet weather conditions. I've found the RX 300 to be a bit succeptible to water splashed up when going through deep puddles and I'll get some "belt squeal" and thats when my blinking light has happened.

I'd say check your drive belts and tighten or replace them (it) if possible.

Wow it's funny you should mention this... Lately, every time i start the car i hear this high pitched squealing sound for maybe a minute, then it goes away. Whenever i go through a large puddle it begins to make the same noise. It did this last winter too, but went away during the summer.

You think it's really related? How much to fix this? :(

Wow it's funny you should mention this... Lately, every time i start the car i hear this high pitched squealing sound for maybe a minute, then it goes away. Whenever i go through a large puddle it begins to make the same noise. It did this last winter too, but went away during the summer.

You think it's really related? How much to fix this? :(

We don't have a winter here so I can only guess that it hapens in winter because the rubber in the belt isn't as pliable and has less grip because of the cold. The belts get harder and more brittle over time so I'd say after 4-5 years it might be time to get the belts replaced.

I've done this on many other vehicles but when my RX belt began to give some trouble it just happened to be a few days before it went in for the 90k service and I just had it changed then. My point is that I don't have any specific insight into doing the belt swap on an RX. Its basic routine maintenance though and if you don't want to do it yourself any shop should be able to do it rather easily. I'd guess a belt will run $25-30 bucks and honestly it shouldnt be more than $100 to have it done (including the belt) Lexus dealer may be different though.