Rx300 Rear Bumper Guard Tape

dreadlord

My 2000 RX300 did not come with the black plastic bumper guard. I bought a used one off eBay, but it was removed from another RX, and the 2 sided foam tape is only partially removed. I tried a razor blade, and it is really hard to remove the existing tape.

There are quite a bit of plastic spots open, so I can probably just get new tape and not try to tape over the existing tape residue.

Question, has anyone done one of these? What kind of 2 sided tape did you use, and how was the result.

Are there any recommendation on how to remove the OEM tape residue?

Thanks in advance!

Try spraying some WD-40 on it and then taking it off. WD-40 will take off almost anything, it works very good on road tar, any of those sticky labels you get on stuff you buy, bubble gum, ECT. You just have to clean the WD-40 residue off before applying the new double sided tape.

Jeff

I have 1st hand experience with this actually...

Use some stuff called "Goo Gone" to remove the tape. Let it soak and peel off with your fingernails.

After the glue is removed, rub the plastic with rubbing alcohol (on a rag etc). Do this to the bumper as well.

Get some 3M two sided tape, from and hardware store etc. Make sure the tape is a little thick...very thin tape will not hold.

Put the tape on the plastic cover, then place on the bumper, making sure it's centered before you make contact. When it's on, you will NOT be able to remove it. It'll take the paint off before anything else...

good luck!

post-13420-1172537795_thumb.jpg

It will def. be at stores like Lowes or Home Depot.

After you get all the glue off, wash the plastic down with soap and water to make sure all of the goo gone is off. Then use the alcohol. You need the plastic to be dry and clean :)

After the surface of the plastic guard is clean and dry, remove only one side of the tape (should be in a roll) and put it along the perimeter, maybe 1/8 inches from the rim, so it's not visible from the outside. Make the corners meet as close as you can too... this will prevent water from getting trapped in there when washing, so it doesn't leak out while driving... then put smaller pieces of the tape inside. when this is complete, remove the top layer of stuff over the tape. Now you can get ready to put it on the bumper.

Open your tailgate to put the cover on***** Make sure the bumper is clean and dry as well...

On the plastic cover, right over the "LEXUS" in the center, you can see a verticle line that's directly in the center of the guard. Line this line up with the little metal hook that locks the tailgate... this will make sure it's centered.

Just press down and you're done :) If you have any questions before or during the procedure just let me know! ;)

good luck

Thanks much for the detailed instructions! 3 applications of Goo Gone adn cleaning took off most of the left over foam and adhesive. I used a sand paper to lightly sand the surface to remove the final bits. after some soap, the surface should be good to go.

The ambient temperature is too low, as the tape recommends at least 60 degrees. So I'm going to wait until a warmer day, and then go on with the alcohol cleaning and the car wash.

The hint about aligning to the hatch is great!

Will let everyone knows when I'm done. I think this is going to work out a lot better than I expected.