97 Es300 Radio Dead

DBrucher

I think it has finally happened: My radio has gone dead. It was working fine this morning, then I turned the stereo off with a click of the knob, and 10 mins later when I turned it back on, everything appears normal - minus the sound. I checked the vast pool of knowledge from these forums and I guess what I've got my hands on is a dead amp. Understandable from over-activity probably (I likes my tunes).

All the fuses are fine, the display (although still mostly 'delaminated') still going, the disc changer still switches disks...just no sound. So I either am going to replace the factory amp, or take the next step and put a newer replacement deck in.

My question is: If I were to get some snazzy DVD display or something, would I even need the Toyota amp in the dash, or does it get bypassed? Also, with aftermarket decks, would my 6-disc changer become obsolete, or could it be incorporated? Would I just be better off replacing the amp and half-burnt-out display on the original?? These are all things I'll have to contemplate in the next few weeks while I take my vow of silence... Whaddyou think?

I'm sorry to hear that your radio is dead. Are you going to burry it? LOL. I'm jk.

The need for an aftermarket amp and head unit is dependant on which head unit you purchase. Are you better off with an aftermarket unit? Well, that depends on what your goals are. Are you looking for optimum sound quality...or were you happy with what you had?

What is your budget?

The sound quality was fine, I was probably going to put a sub in the trunk, though with its own amp. I was doing some shopping and saw some sweet Pioneer DVD screens I'm hoping will fit (I've never taken the radio out to assess space issues). I'm thinking of throwing no more than a grand into it, but there's no rush. There are plenty of other tweaks and issues I need to fix before focusing on the radio. It would be sweet to salvage a perfectly working disc-changer, though.