Trac Light On

tranls400

Hello All,

I have TRAC LIGHT ON (steady) after I drive my 90 LS400 (114K) for about 5 minutes. I went to Lexus of Portland for service. They could not find any codes in the system though. But they recommended me to replace the accumulator for about 787 (including labor). I decided not to do it and had to pay the diagnosis for 38.00. My car is running excellent without any feeling of losing traction control. Should I just ignore the light or the TRAC light might cause more problems in the future. Please advise or recommend. Thanks in advance.

Trung Tran

tranls400

Hey,

Same thing with my car 18 months ago. Seems like that 700 something is just what I paid. Though I had a new timing belt, plugs, wires, basically the 120,000 work over, it ran $2,500.

I can't answer you on the issue of not repairing it, but remember it was just as you've explained, even the costs.

Regards,

Mike

Hello

I have exactly the same problem and dealer also recommend the same thing. I decided not to fix because atleast in Hawaii I don't think we really need the traction control because the weather. However, I notice that from the begining, if I step hard on the accelarator. The trac light does not come on like if I take it easy when driving. Reason why I really do not know. You can try like that to see how your car react. Let us know if you ever find the solution. Good luck.

• 3 weeks later...

I have you guys all beat. My trac light came on and I didn't pay much attention. Within a month, a new problem developed.

Whenever I start the car, within about 5 seconds a horrible screeching noise comes out of the engine. It then, without fail so far, stops after about 30-45 seconds. And the car operates fine. If you open the hood, the noise seems to be coming out of the power steering pump.

Took it to the dealer. They thought it was a very strange problem. But the answer came back that the noise was coming from the Traction Control Actuator and Accumulator, and that the estimate to fix was $2,400 parts, $700 labor - or a total of $3,100 - all on my 1990 LS400 with 205,000 miles - blue book value $3,000.

They advised that the traction control would not work - and it doesn't - easy to spin the wheels, and that the ABS brakes were part of the same unit - and they they would not work - I would have perfectly fine regular brakes - just not ABS. But I tested the brakes, and I was able to get that chattering sound on a panc stop - so I gues the ABS brakes are still there.

What to do?? The noise is so loud and scary, it sounds as if an shaft is being wrung apart - and that it might fail at any moment. But once the noise stops, the car is as good as ever. I have a 16 year old who is to begin to drive soon and I had planned to let this airbag equipped car provide his wheels. I guess the next repair problem will decide the issue of whether to abandon the car or continuing to pour good money into a piece of junk.

Any ideas?