Which One That I Should Keep : 03 Lexus Es300 Or 05 Nissan Murano ? Ad

masboy

Seems like I need to get rid one of my car. Either Lexus ES300 or Nissan Murano. Here are more details about those 2 cars. They both still have around ~$17,000 balance that I have to pay. Whichever car that I'm gonna keep in the end, would be used until 2011~2012 at least (4 yrs from now)

03 Lexus Es300 : High mileage 75K, might last longer than any other car, no ? By 2011, mileage might reach around 135K~145K (for commute daily mostly). I just bought this car in Nov 06 with 72K mileage.

05 Nissan Murano : Mileage ~37K, it's a NISSAN...it "might" not last as longer as Lexus/Toyota. I bought this car in June 05. It might reach 95K~105K by 2011 (for commute daily mostly). I'm worry about the maintenance when it reach 100K mileage, SUV could be pain in the @$$ in maintenance.

Question :

- I'm sure some people in this board have Lexus with mileage more than 150K, how's the maintenance ? Is it expensive ? Are there many 'things' that need to maintain ?

- If you were in my shoes, which car you will keep ? and if you have a reason, that would help as well :)

Small advice, big advice, any advice would be much much appreciated. BIG thanks in advance !!

I'm really confuse right now :wacko:

Does the Lexus have complete maintenance records?

If it does, I personally would keep it for the following reasons:

1. Its a more reliable car with parts that are relatively easy to obtain that anyone can work on. Nissans don't have the same reputation for reliability (although theirs is strong as well) and I don't know as much about them.

2. The Lexus is a more "timeless" car and it ages better. I've been around a lot of different cars with mileage. In my experience, nothing ages like a Lexus except maybe an older Mercedes. These cars get more comfortable as they get older, and as long as you keep up the exterior maintenance (washing, polishing, waxing etc) Lexus is so conservative with their redesigns it will look fresh and modern for a long time to come. I personally would rather drive a Lexus with 150k than a Nissan with 40k. The Murano is a "fad" vehicle, and it will look beyond tired and outdated by 2012.

Those would be my reasons.

This is a pretty interesting post because I'm actually considering a newer Murano at some point.

As far as your choices, well... with the ES300 some basic stuff needs to be replaced as you get to higher mileage. I have a '95 ES300 with about 144K on it. It needed shocks/struts, CV joints in the front, brakes, timing belt, and other basic maintenance, but that was about it... it runs smooth and quiet and soft on the bumps now... almost like a new car. It should be good for another 10-20K before any maintenance review.

With the Murano, there are some questions about the durability of that CVT. Now, I'm not sure, but I'm under the impression all the Muranos have the CVT (Constant Velocity Transmission). It's kind of new, but so far seems reliable. I've heard great things about the Murano, and it seems like an excellent 'all-around' vehicle for people, luggage, road conditions, etc.

For me, the head room factor would weigh in favor of the Murano. At a little over 6'2", my hair grazes the headliner by the sunroof in the ES300, which is completely annoying (but it fits my wife just fine). I also like to sit a little higher in the cockpit when I drive, which is why I love my 4Runner... but it's a bit of a rough ride.

Sounds like you've got a tough decision... they are both pretty nice cars.

I think SWO3ES is right on the money with his comments, The VQ powerplant is probably one of the great all time V6 designs, but my experiences with 3 Nissans and a dozen more that friends had is a definate lack of long term durability. Especially with the accessories. As well, there is a definate comfort and fuel economy edge with the ES, right? With the upcoming major service, unknown longevity for the CVT and all the above, I think it's a strong argument to stay with the ES. But, I have always lusted over the copper color Murano since they were introduced ...

:cheers:

For me, the head room factor would weigh in favor of the Murano. At a little over 6'2", my hair grazes the headliner by the sunroof in the ES300, which is completely annoying (but it fits my wife just fine).

Have you driven a newer ES? I ask because the 02+ model is significantly larger than your 95.

Yeah my 94 ES has 192k on it and i haven't really put any money into it except for rear valve cover gaskets and a new EGR valve in the 1 1/2 years i've had it. My last oil change was in July and since i've driven around 6,000 miles and its still full/tea colored.

Haven't driven a newer ES, but I nearly touch the headliner in every car I've ridden in with a sunroof... from the new Infinitys to my bud's Acura TL. That'd be nice if the newer ES had more head room... might have to step up after were done with the '95.

A lot of people get sucked in to the new(er) car hype. Personally I'd rather have my 00 ES with 140K than a brand new ford focus. Lexus makes their cars very plush and in my opinion their level of rifinement is unmatched. The design of the ES will still be visually pleasing for many, many years to come.

Aside form rotors and struts, which are wear and tear parts anyway, my ES has really had no significant problems in it's 140K mile lifetime. And I do most of the work myself (simple oil, ATF, and filter changes) except for the big timing and water pump every 90K. I drive 130 miles round trip 5 days a week and don't have any major worries about breakdowns.

Whichever you keep, remember to keep it regularly ploished and detailed. That helps a car from looking much older than it should.

I'd say your choice should also depend on your lifestyle (kids/hauling), but the ES is really a roomy vehicle with a big trunk. You should have no worries. Good luck on your decision!

Oooof.... yeah, I'd take your '00 over a brand new Ford Focus any day... and over a Kia Rio, too. Those cars are bottom of the barrel. The Murano is closer in caliber to the ES, and I agree with Backwoods_Lex that much of your decsion should probably be based on your lifestyle and needs. The Murano can tow (and yes, I know there is a tow package on the ES, but seriously...), and it has fold down rear seats.

I agree, comparing any Lexus with a Ford Focus is more than a little bit pointless. Now, if you said "I'd rather have my 00 ES with 140k than a new Ford 500" that would make more sense.