Car Had Trouble Starting

1998 GS300

Car sat in front of house for 3 days while I was out of town. So I get in my car to start it up and I turned the key. When I turned the key, I had to keep doing it over and over again while holding it for like 4-5 seconds. The car was making the sound like it wanted to start up but was struggling to do so. After the 5th attempt, the car finally started. It has been kind of cold here in DC the past few days and I havent had the problem since then. Starter contacts were replaced 2 months ago. car would turn, just had had time trying to start.

Something I should worry about?

1998 GS300

Car sat in front of house for 3 days while I was out of town. So I get in my car to start it up and I turned the key. When I turned the key, I had to keep doing it over and over again while holding it for like 4-5 seconds. The car was making the sound like it wanted to start up but was struggling to do so. After the 5th attempt, the car finally started. It has been kind of cold here in DC the past few days and I havent had the problem since then. Starter contacts were replaced 2 months ago. car would turn, just had had time trying to start.

How much gas was in the tank ? Could have beed some condensation in the lines that restricted gas flow. Have you changed the spark plugs ?

1998 GS300

How much gas was in the tank ? Could have beed some condensation in the lines that restricted gas flow. Have you changed the spark plugs ?

About half a tank. Spark plugs were replaced at dealer in dec 2005. Battery has not been changed since I bought car in May 2004. Time to change it. Especially since I have a custom radio system and amp draining the battery. I'll keeo you posted if problem comes up again.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I had the same problem with my 99 gs 400 a few years ago. When I tried to start it the motor it turned over slower than normal and not even sounded like it was going to start. I tried several times but it would not start. Called Lexus because at that time it was CPO. When the rollback got to my house the driver asked what was wrong and I tried to start it again and the same thing happened. The battery had plenty of power. It would just turn over like the engine was full of water. The driver took the car to the dealer and they called the next day and said it cranked up on the first try. He said I could have flooded the engine. Iasked him how you flood a fuel injected engine and he gave me some BS story. I told him I don't even touch the gas pedal when I start a car and just got another BS story. He said to hold the gas pedal to the floor if it happened again when starting. This did happen again a year or two latter and it did work. This car has been great but I still don't know what the cause is. Anybody have a clue what is going on with this car?